turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alternative Minimum tax

I'm filing MN taxes and the box TT will not let me uncheck the box for "paid Minnesota alternative tax in a prior year." 

This leads to other questions pertaining to documents I don't have because I've never paid the MN alternative tax.

How do I get this box to uncheck?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Alternative Minimum tax

Can you please check to see if you are selecting the AMT for your Federal return? If so, this may be carrying over to the state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Alternative Minimum tax

Thank you for the answer.

I have not selected the AMT on the federal return.  Neither my husband not I have ever done the AMT.

mariekolson
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

The same thing is happening to me as well. I also have never done the AMT and did not select it for the federal portion of my taxes.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Alternative Minimum tax

The Paid Minnesota alternative minimum tax question creates Form M1MTC. Try deleting this form to clear the check box.

• Click on Tax Tools on the left column,
  • Click Tools,
  • Click Delete a form in the center,
  • Scroll down to the Minnesota return section
  • Find Form M1MTC. Click Delete.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Alternative Minimum tax

I am having the same issue where the check box for "Paid Minnesota alternative minimum tax in a prior year" is automatically checked on the Minnesota Credits page. I deselect it and check none of the above and move on to the next page but the next page is titled "Minnesota Alternative Minimum Tax" and leads to the next page asking questions about form 6251 (which I have never filled out). When I go back to the Minnesota Credits page, the box for "Paid Minnesota alternative minimum tax in a prior year" is checked again and the "None of the above" box is now unchecked.

I tried deleting the M1MTC form but that has not fixed the issue. I have filed through TurboTax online since 2015 and have not ever run into this issue. It seems to be a bug with the Minnesota Credits page of the filing process.

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

Deleting form M1MTC did not work.  I have never paid Alternative Minimum Tax.  It appears to be a bug in the program and needs an update.  Very frustrating.

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

I did not select AMT for my federal return.  The program needs an update.  This is very frustrating.

MNTaxes2020
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

We are having the same issue. We deleted the form M1MTC, but that did not resolve the issue. 

kosmos323

Alternative Minimum tax

I am having the exact same problem and am basically unable to continue to file my taxes as a result unless I go to another service. Fix it soon or I'm going elsewhere.

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

None of the suggestions you have made corrects the problem.  Please tell whoever can fix this to fix it. I think all of us who have cited this problem deserve a status report on the progress of getting this corrected.

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

Have you received an answer that worked?

jrice56
Returning Member

Alternative Minimum tax

Your suggestion does not work.  I have never paid AMT.  I still can't uncheck the "Paid Alternative Minimum Tax in a Previous Year" box in the Minnesota credits section.  Who can help us with this problem?  Please help!

Alternative Minimum tax

Another MN resident here having the exact same problem.

I have never paid AMT and TurboTax is not allowing me to uncheck the box saying I did.

I have no form 6251 or anything else.

I have been using TurboTax for a decade and never had this issue until now.

Alternative Minimum tax

@ErnieS0  @BrandiLO I am having the same problem. AMT box auto-selects even when I uncheck the box. I am also unable to delete form M1MTC. Have never filed AMT and don't know why this is happening. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies