Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 TT State (Virginia) Download in loop

I am running  TURBOTAX Windows DESKTOP HOME AND BUSINESS TAX YEAR 2023. The State download is in a loop and does not complete. I have uninstalled the TT program twice with no luck. I have reviewed previous posts with this problem and saw the zip tool solution. However, this zip tool refers to the 2022 TurbTax. Any remedy would be appreciated.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The vast majority of State forms are not typically available until well into January of the tax season.....so your uninstalling/installing will likely do nothing.....even if the installation process seems to indicate they were downloaded.

Beyond that, there does appear to be something that TTX software folks need to work out for state forms download/install......but don't expect your VA tax forms to be ready until mid-late January in any case.

@sagnr 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

37 Replies

Intuit Phone Support at 1-800-446-8848.

The vast majority of State forms are not typically available until well into January of the tax season.....so your uninstalling/installing will likely do nothing.....even if the installation process seems to indicate they were downloaded.

Beyond that, there does appear to be something that TTX software folks need to work out for state forms download/install......but don't expect your VA tax forms to be ready until mid-late January in any case.

@sagnr 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

sagnr -- You are not alone.  I, too, have encountered the Virginia state download loop problem with TurboTax Deluxe. A few days ago, TTax indicated that Virginia state download would be ready on December 14, so I tried it today. Now the December 14 message no longer appears, but the looping issue prevents a successful download. I, too, tried the uninstall and reinstall, but that does not work. As you point out, the state "clean" tool does not work either, as it is labeled for TurboTax 2022. I tried it anyway, but it does not work. I am about to try the third suggested solution -- starting Windows (I use Windows 10) in Selective Startup Mode. If that works, I'll update my message. We may have to just wait for a fix, but if anyone succeeds in downloading Virginia state 2023 in the meantime, please let us know. I have used TurboTax for at least 19 years and have never had this state download issue before.

I have spent at least 6 hours trying to resolve this issue.  Either the TT code has problems or the state download date they posted is incorrect.  Either way, it sure would be nice to get some type of feedback from TT.  It is a download of state forms so it shouldn't be this difficult. 

I started on the morning of the 14th anticipating that it would be available so  could do some end of year planning.  Have Windows 10 with all of the latest updates.  NO JOY in getting this done.

Where is the official response to this problem??

This link shows forms availability.  I plan on waiting until these dates to pursue this issue. 

Virginia Individual Forms Availability (intuit.com)

Thanks, Jim71. I wish TurboTax had used these official Virginia dates in their original ready message (December 14).  They could also alleviate our anxiety by inserting the dates you found in a new "ready on January 4" message, rather than spinning us in an infinite loop.

The TT 2023 state fiasco - I purchase TT in Nov so I can preplan.

OK for federal, but useless for state.

After 30+ years with TT, time to look at other options for the future.

JFW3
Level 2

12/22/2023  Same problem with loop for Virginia state.  This is different than prior years when you either got the download or a statement saying when the download would be available.  Something is not working correctly and should be addressed by TurboTax.  

ee-ea
Level 15

DJS
Alumni
Alumni

Same problem with TT Premier edition. Any solution?

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

I discussed this with a TT representative on the phone.  The representative confirmed that the software executable is installed, and State forms will download when they become available from the State.  

DJS
Alumni
Alumni

Thanks for the additional information. It certainly is a confusing user experience. 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies