turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2017 ca form won't instal

I am trying to download the California State Tax form for 2017, it says the download is successful and installed but then nothing is installed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

I have this problem too, for 2018--can't go back to a saved 2018 form, because it requires Cal download which the system won't do. Help!

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation. See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Same here - seems buggy. IRS sent me letter taxes weren't right and Turbo Tax doesn't appear to be standing up for their software. This is 3rd year in a row.

amath
Returning Member

I'm having the same problem with TurboTax Premier for Mac 2017. When trying to open a return, I get error saying "

The Tax return you are attempting to load contains one or more state tax forms which are not installed on this machine. Please install California to continue."

But even after going through and getting a success message for installing CA, it shows the same error.

Has anyone found a fix or workaround??

amath 

I'm going to ask someone using a Mac to assist you, but it may or may not be tonight.  You may need to call into TurboTax Support if problems persist.

In the meantime, what Mac OS X version are you using?

@macuser_22   Are you able to assist here when you are next in the Community?   There seems to be an unusual number of folks using a Mac and having this same install California state program problem.   I don't know if it's a known issue at Support or not.

amath
Returning Member

Thanks so much! I'm using macOS Mojave, version 10.14.4

PROBLEM SOLVED: To the many users who had this problem, Intuit customer service sent me the California program to install manually, via a file to click on--it launched TurboTax and installed California flawlessly. 

Ask customer service for the Mac download--they'll either email it to you or place it in your account (if you have an Intuit account). This will solve the problem (which should never have occurred in the first place).

Yes see above.

amath
Returning Member

@mesquitebean @macuser_22 is there a way to get this file tonight or do I need to call into support tomorrow? 

Thanks for all the quick replies!

To anyone with the Mac software still having this problem:

I heard back from TurboTax today.   This was a recent issue that was supposed to have been resolved for most Mac users last month.   

A user reported today that the recent program update resolved this issue for him.  So be sure you have the latest program update.   If that doesn't resolve it here are a couple of things to try:

While it can be resolved by phoning Support and getting the state software download, I was informed today that there is something a user can do on their own without phoning Support.  These are the steps I was given for any Mac user to try who is still having the problem in spite of the latest update:

1. Select the Go menu.
  2. Choose Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library and select Go.
  4. Navigate to the Application Support folder.
  5. Open the TurboTax folder.
  6. Open the forms folder and extract the state zipped folder listed there.
  7. Once completed, relaunch TurboTax.

So based on those steps, it sounds like the state program was not being extracted.    So if updating your program with the latest update doesn't resolve it,  one may with to try that and see if that will avoid the hassle of phoning Support.

Kalihiboy
Returning Member

Hi mesquite bean,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have the same issue on my 2018 return. I've spend hours trying to talk to a live person but only get computer generated "traffic director" who sends me right back where I started. So hopefully, gifted people like yourself can help.

Where are you entering the instructions you posted below that begins with "Select Go Menu"

After I go through all the updates and get TT confirmation that everything is up to date, it goes right back to the the message "The tax return you are attempting. . .." and locks into this loop. I cannot even quit the app unless I Force Quit it. 

I'm sorry, but I don't use a Mac.   I'll see if @macuser_22  can comment on those steps.   Perhaps he can add to or clarify those instructions I was provided.   I pasted them as they were given to me.

Do you have the latest program update?    Post the latest revision number you have, and macuser_22 can probably tell if your program updated to the latest or not.  

I'm not sure why you had trouble reaching Customer Support.   Did you use this form?
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Kalihiboy
Returning Member

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, I do have the latest TT update. It actually was the first screens that popped up when I opened TT. I'm not sure where to find the TT version but I found this number under "About TT"    2018.r35.054. I'm new at using TT service and was chasing any leads including a phone number [phone number removed] I found on TT FAQ which led me right back to the Community. I wasn't sure how to phrase my problem which made it difficult to find my way to this threads.

Thank you for the next lead: http://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact. Right now I'm so lost so thank you again for reaching out to me.

I don't know if that's the most current Mac update or not.  You'll have to wait until someone with a Mac comments.

What OS X version are you using?

If you called the phone number in that other FAQ, their system first has to determine if you are using a paid version in order to receive help.  Since you are using the paid desktop version, it should have put you through to an agent if you indicated that.

The best way for a desktop user to reach Support is with the form I provided in my comment above and which you referenced.   It should either provide a phone number or schedule a callback.  Were you able to reach TurboTax Support using that form? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies