turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 Misc - California Non-Resident

Hello,

I live and work in Texas. I have a full-time job in Texas that provides a w2. I also work as a part-time freelance graphic designer and performed contract work for a company in California. I received a 1099-MISC for the work I completed. The amount was under $4,000, do I need to file a California State tax return? If so, do I only include the 1099-MISC information or do I allow TurboTax to use my federal return information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

No, as the work is done in Texas, your 1099-MISC is considered as income earned in Texas, even if the company is based in California. You do not have to file a California state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

No, as the work is done in Texas, your 1099-MISC is considered as income earned in Texas, even if the company is based in California. You do not have to file a California state return.

msurwl

I have a similar situation.  We live in TN.  I work and receive a W2 from my employer here in TN.  My wife works for a company in IL and receives a W2.  We are filing an IL state form for that piece.  But on the side, my wife is a contractor for a company in CA.  She has done a small amount of work for them and received a 1099-MISC.  We are unsure if we need to do anything for CA, like a nonresident form.  Since we are filing jointly, does that matter? (https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html)

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

@msurwl.

MinhT1's answer above applies to you as well. I'll repost it here.

I'm being told that according to a case ruling in CA any income on a 1099 MISC in California is subject to taxes in California. 

https://whyblu.com/blog/nonresident-sole-proprietors-1099-income-from-california-customers-is-taxed-...

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

You need to file a California State return from a 1099 MISC if it is for work that was performed in California.  The only exception would be if you performed work in another state and the 1099 MISC was issued from a California address. This link, explains this phenomenon. As far as that link you provided, this would not be considered a reliable link for tax information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies