turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked on a sailing school vessel in the caribbean. The company owning the vessel is based in Massachusetts. Do I count this as working in MA, paying MA state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I worked on a sailing school vessel in the caribbean. The company owning the vessel is based in Massachusetts. Do I count this as working in MA, paying MA state taxes?

I disagree with those responses. Unless you were physically present in MA while working (or are a resident of MA), your wages are not Massachusetts-source income and are not taxable by MA.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I disagree with those responses. Unless you were physically present in MA while working (or are a resident of MA), your wages are not Massachusetts-source income and are not taxable by MA.

MageeM

Please see @linear's response below.

My experience is that If you were an employee, And your employer withheld MA state income taxes, then yes. If you were a contractor, Or your employer did not withhold MA income taxes, then you would file "from" your state of residence. [I am not a tax professional]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies