turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MathewSnow
Returning Member

Part-Time Resident State Tax in TurboTax Premier

I'm trying to file state tax returns and believe TurboTax isn't allowing me to answer what I think is the  crucial question for part-time residents: how much income did my spouse and I make while residents in each state? I've attached screenshots to show how TurboTax says it wants this information but provides no opportunity to give it. The first screenshot is where it says it'll ask for this information. The other screenshots are the only two questions it asks me before saying I've successfully completed the 'income' section.

This could be a big deal for me, as I had a lot of short-term capital gain income in one state and an equal amount of short-term capital loss in the second state. As such, my capital gain income on my federal tax return (~$0) does not represent how much money I made or lost while a resident of each state. Is something missing?

Screenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.pngScreenshot_4.pngScreenshot_5.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You are playing around in the wrong screens. You will need to move past the adjustments screens as these are not relevant in allocating your income. Move past these screens and continue to navigate through the Iowa State return. You will eventually reach a screen entitled Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Credit.  This is the screen where you will make your income allocations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MathewSnow
Returning Member

Hi Dave,

I already made income allocations on the screen you mention (attached). Those entries are only carried over to the "Iowa-Source Income" section of the "Iowa Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Credit Schedule", not to my Iowa State 1040 (attached). Is this how it should be? It seems wrong to me. Our wages, salaries, tips, etc. should be lower on the 1040 by $26,225. Our capital gain income should be higher on the 1040 by $301,145. I would love to be wrong!

Screenshot_10.pngScreenshot_8.png

InkedScreenshot_11_LI.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies