turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I add Michigan use tax to my 2018 state return if I had qualifying purchases?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

How can I add Michigan use tax to my 2018 state return if I had qualifying purchases?

Did you walk all the way through the Michigan interview?  It should ask you about that.

Yes. Multiple times. Revisited the taxes and credits section where it is listed multiple times, but have only ever been prompted/allowed to say I did not make any qualifying purchases.

Is it a resident return or part-year resident return or non-resident?   

I have screen images of the use tax screen and the Forms view of the Use Tax Worksheet but they are for the desktop software (CD/download).

Part-year resident. Also, I am using TT web interface, not desktop. Thanks.

You wrote you "have only ever been prompted/allowed to say I did not make any qualifying purchases."

How did you answer that?  Did you already tell the program that you did not have any purchases subject to use tax?

On final review, it told me I had to fix "Worksheet 1" and took me 'back' there, but would only let me check that box; would not let me indicate use tax by entering purchases.

I've printed my draft return and am manually correcting the use tax, total tax liability, and final amount owed, so giving up on doing that through TT. But appreciate your answers.

Sorry, but I can't run a scenario on the Michigan Use Tax in the Online TurboTax product.  I can only test it in the desktop product (CD/download), which also has the advantage of being able to enter/correct it in Forms Mode.

You can phone TurboTax Support, if you wish, and they can walk through the state interview with you to see what is happening.

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

I am experiencing the same issue with Michigan use tax for the 2019 tax year.

@enewberry96 wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue with Michigan use tax for the 2019 tax year.

I see you also started a thread here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/calculating-michigan-use-tax/01/976431

If you don't get a solution in your new thread or this old thread from last year,  you can phone TurboTax Support for assistance.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) Monday-Friday.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies