turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYS 414h NYS rejects

My W2 says OTHER and has no dollar amount entered for box 14.  Past years I just left Box 14 blank in my tax forms but this year my forms keep being rejected.  I've tried Other for the category and also 414 IRC 414(h) Subject to NY Tax.  I've put the number 0 for my amount and left the amount blank.  No matter what I put in Box 14 my taxes are rejected.  What should I do?  I have another W2 from a private college which of course gives no problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

34 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Try deleting the W2 completely and re-entering all information manually.  Do make any entries in box 14 since there is no dollar amount. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Thanks so much DMarkM1.  I just resubmitted my forms and will let the community know if your delete-then-manually fill-out idea worked.  -- Alice

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Unfortunately the fix suggested by DMarkM1 didn't work!  I work at a public university.  In Box 14 of my W2 it says OTHER but has no dollar amount.  I've submitted my taxes at least 7 times, and they keep being rejected.  I've deleted my W2 and retyped everything manually, leaving Box 14 copletely blank.  I've put every combination of in Box 14: OTHER in Box 14, $0.0 and blank in the amount column, IRC 414(h) Subject to NY tax and blank in the category column.  I also teach at a private college, but that W2 doesn't seem to have an issue.  Is it possible the two W2s are in conflict? I'm at a complete loss.  I have simply too many pages to send NY a printed form, plus NY only wants electronic.  Does anyone have any idea of what I can do?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Does the situation described here apply to you, would this work around be a potential solution?   New York State 414h e-file rejection  

If that doesn't work, please let us know in this thread (so that we see it more quickly).

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Unfortunately that link doesn't work.  Could you resend it?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Try copy/paste with this:   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-my-nys-return-was-rejected-with-code-r0103-eve...     

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Thanks.  That went to information already in the TurboTax software.

Since nothing was listed in Box 14 in my W2, should I write IRC 414(h) Subject to NY tax?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

NYS 414h NYS rejects

I would give that a try next, yes. 

It seems something else on the W-2 may be triggering it to expect something here, if this is what is being highlighted as the problem , and this issue seems to be the more common one I could find anything about. 

Does it specifically identify that this W-2 is causing the issue?  What error code is coming with your reject and what other information (If any) is the program giving you?   

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Here's the error message I've received from TurboTax in all of my rejection emails:

R0103 - Public employee 414(h) retirement contribution not equal to amount on W-2

NYS 414h NYS rejects

I keep updating my W2 in my federal return.  Is there a place within TurboTax to update in my NY State return as well?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

NYS 414h NYS rejects

It sounds like it is likely referring to a number in Box 12.  Is there a number there with Code E or Code G beside it?  This would be the number that it wants to see in Box 14 with the selection "NY IRC 414(h) Subject to NY tax" selection in the drop down box. (Logically, anyway.) 

Unfortunately, I can't "test" this one for you before making suggestions since I can't simulate an actual e-filed return.   I will, however, be around a while more this evening to keep checking back! 

You are correct to make these changes in the federal entry area (even though that return is already filed) so that they will flow to NY.  These changes, related to Box 14, won't affect anything on your accepted federal return.  

NYS 414h NYS rejects

Yes!  There is a code E in Box 12 with a number next to it.  Should I keep the code E and number in box 12 and repeat the number in Box 14 with the Subject to NY tax label?  Will I not be taxed twice then?

NYS 414h NYS rejects

I tried putting the number next to E in Box 12, without deleting it from Box 12, and that basically doubled the NYS tax I owe.

If I delete the number next to E in Box 12, then the form I file will look completely different from the official W2 I received.

I therefore don't believe adding the Box 12 E number to Box 14 is the correction.  What do you think?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

NYS 414h NYS rejects

I was just digging around to see if the "Subject to Tax" (which will raise the tax, but is correct in doing so) or the "tax-exempt" is more appropriate.

The list below includes the plans that would require selection of Subject to Tax.   The reason for this, as that these plans are  not subject to New York state tax upon withdrawal.

• A member of the New York State and Local Retirement systems, which include the New York State Employees' Retirement System and the New York State Police and Fire Retirement System.

• A member of the New York State Teachers' Retirement System.

• An employee of the State or City University of New York who belongs to the Optional Retirement Program.

• A member of the New York City Employees' Retirement System, the New York City Teachers' Retirement System, the New York City Board of Education Retirement System, the New York City Police Pension Fund, or the New York City Fire Department Pension Fund.

• A member of the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MABSTOA).

If none of the above apply to you, select the "tax exempt" option, it may not be possible to e-file but I am not 100% confident that this is the case, so I would give it a try anyway.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies