Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Not sure which states I need to file taxes in?

I live outside the USA most of the year in 2017. I am paid by a USA based company out of Georgia. I lived in the USA from April 1 thru August 4, 2017. My mailing address in the US is CT based (my parents house), but while back stateside spent 30 days in CT at my parents house and the rest of the time was spent visiting friends and family in other states. I had a temporary job in Kansas City, MO for one week in June. Not sure which states if any I need to pay state taxes for? Please advise

1 Reply
Level 9

Not sure which states I need to file taxes in?

It really depends which state you lived in before you left and where you intend to return (if you do).  Below is a very technical answer.  If you have more questions, please ask.

Most states in the United States define “residency” based on a person’s “domicile.”  Domicile, in general, is the place which an individual intends to be his or her permanent home and to which such individual intends to return whenever absent.

An individual can only have one domicile at a time.  Once a person acquires a domicile, he/she retains that domicile until another is acquired.  A change of domicile requires: 1) abandonment of a prior domicile, 2) physically moving to and residing in the new locality, and 3) intent to remain in the new locality permanently or indefinitely.  If a person moves to a new location but intends to stay there only a limited time (no matter how long), their domicile does not change.

Some states provide exceptions to individuals being treated as residents, even if the individuals retain their domicile in that state. Connecticut allows Connecticut domiciled individuals to be treated as nonresidents.  To meet the requirements of the first test, an individual must:

  1. not maintain a permanent place of abode in Connecticut for the entire year,
  2. maintain a permanent place of abode outside of Connecticut for the entire year, and
  3. not spend more than 30 days in Connecticut during the year.

To meet the requirements of the second test, an individual must:

  1. be in a foreign country for at least 450 days during any period of 548 consecutive days, and
  2. during this period, not spend more than 90 days in Connecticut (or have a spouse or minor children that spend more than 90 days in Connecticut).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies