turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 1099 c-cancellation of debt(mortgage forgiveness), is this taxable to New Jersey state, do i have to include this as other income in my New jersey return

im filing my income tax return , i received 1099 c -cancellation of debt (mortgage forgiveness),  i already include it to my federal income tax but it said that i have to include it in my New Jersey return as other income if its taxable, now my question is my cancellation of debt taxable in New Jersey
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

I have 1099 c-cancellation of debt(mortgage forgiveness), is this taxable to New Jersey state, do i have to include this as other income in my New jersey return

No, you do not have to include the cancellation of debt as income on your New Jersey income tax return. It should not appear anywhere on your NJ tax return.

You can reference the table Exempt Income on page 18 of the NJ tax return instructions at the link below:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/1040i.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

No, you do not have to include the cancellation of debt as income on your New Jersey income tax return. It should not appear anywhere on your NJ tax return.

You can reference the table Exempt Income on page 18 of the NJ tax return instructions at the link below:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/1040i.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies