turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kylehart
Returning Member

My W-2 Ingested for Spouse's State Income Tax

Spouse and I are both military members who have different states of residence. This year, TurboTax is only recognizing my W-2 when I try to do her tax return, as we file jointly for federal and separate for state. When I try to do her PA return, Turbo Tax automatically uses my information to fill out the form. There is no way to change this, even in the downloaded form, which is where I'm attempting to adjust this. Is there a way to change this without completely redoing my returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to do two totally separate tax returns for the state returns and then another one for the joint federal tax return. So, you need to prepare three returns in TurboTax. You will file the federal return without preparing any state tax returns, and then prepare another federal return for you to get your state return populated, and then another federal return for your spouse to populate her state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You can use TurboTax Online to file separate state returns, but we recommend you use the CD/Download software version to do this because you'll only need to pay for one TurboTax product (you can file up to five returns).

For additional instructions, see:  How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?

kylehart
Returning Member

David,

I did use the download/CD version and its still not letting me adjust whose W-2 is used in the PA return. My W-2 is utilized in both the PA and VA returns (my spouse's and mine) and it won't let me utilize hers for PA. 

TomD8
Level 15

@kylehart -- This doesn't directly answer your question, but are you aware that the Veterans Benefits and Transitions Act (VBTA) of 2018 gives the spouses of active duty servicemembers the right to file their state and local tax returns as a resident of the servicemember's SLR (State of Legal Residence), even if the spouse has no other connection with that state?  Choosing that option would allow you and your wife to file jointly in your SLR.  See page 3 of this reference:

https://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_services/documents/Info_Paper_2018_SCRA_Amendments.pdf

She still has the option of filing as a resident of her own state of domicile, if she prefers.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
kylehart
Returning Member

We're both active duty servicemembers so it doesn't apply. My issue is a technical one with TurboTax.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to do two totally separate tax returns for the state returns and then another one for the joint federal tax return. So, you need to prepare three returns in TurboTax. You will file the federal return without preparing any state tax returns, and then prepare another federal return for you to get your state return populated, and then another federal return for your spouse to populate her state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies