Solved: Maryland double taxed income

blueangels

Maryland double taxed income

Hi,  I worked in NJ for the first 5 months 2019, then started a new job in Maryland since June 2019.  I moved to Maryland in Sept.  When I do my tax return, first I entered Maryland income, and I got tax credit based on my Maryland income.  Then I entered NJ's income, my tax "credit" in Maryland becomes to be negative (i.e., additional tax is added for Maryland based on NJ's income).  I feel that my NJ income has been double taxed in both NJ and Maryland.  How should I do?

CatinaT1

Maryland double taxed income

What state do you live in?  You should complete your non-resident state first and your resident state last.  This will ensure any credit for taxes paid to another state are correct.  You can delete both states and start over in the correct order and this should solve your problem.

CatinaT1

Maryland double taxed income

blueangels

Maryland double taxed income

Thank you so much, CatinaT1!!!  I did the reverse way (complete my resident state first, then non-resident).  Will delete both states and start over by following the right order (non-resident first, resident the last).  You are the  best!! (was very depressed in March when I thought I had to pay for tax twice, that I couldn't complete my tax return till now ....  hope this time I do it right)

blueangels

Maryland double taxed income

I think when I download TurboTax, I choose Maryland as my default state.  Now I can't remove Maryland as my default state.  So how do I enter non-resident state first then resident state? 

In my Turbotax now, both Maryland and NJ are listed as "part-year" resident".  How do I avoid Maryland double taxed my NJ income?