turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland double taxed income

Hi,  I worked in NJ for the first 5 months 2019, then started a new job in Maryland since June 2019.  I moved to Maryland in Sept.  When I do my tax return, first I entered Maryland income, and I got tax credit based on my Maryland income.  Then I entered NJ's income, my tax "credit" in Maryland becomes to be negative (i.e., additional tax is added for Maryland based on NJ's income).  I feel that my NJ income has been double taxed in both NJ and Maryland.  How should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

What state do you live in?  You should complete your non-resident state first and your resident state last.  This will ensure any credit for taxes paid to another state are correct.  You can delete both states and start over in the correct order and this should solve your problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

What state do you live in?  You should complete your non-resident state first and your resident state last.  This will ensure any credit for taxes paid to another state are correct.  You can delete both states and start over in the correct order and this should solve your problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much, CatinaT1!!!  I did the reverse way (complete my resident state first, then non-resident).  Will delete both states and start over by following the right order (non-resident first, resident the last).  You are the  best!! (was very depressed in March when I thought I had to pay for tax twice, that I couldn't complete my tax return till now ....  hope this time I do it right)

I think when I download TurboTax, I choose Maryland as my default state.  Now I can't remove Maryland as my default state.  So how do I enter non-resident state first then resident state? 

In my Turbotax now, both Maryland and NJ are listed as "part-year" resident".  How do I avoid Maryland double taxed my NJ income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies