impromptu97

Living in NY and working in NJ. How do I file the taxes for NJ, do I get the whole state income tax refund for NJ?

In other wage adjustments W-2. I am having an issue to input my gross income for the job I worked for in NJ. I input the value 0 because I have no other wages besides the final wages given, and they're all the same for NY and NJ 

CathyB

Because you live in NY and work in NJ, you will file a nonresident return for NJ and resident return in NY. When you get to the State section of the program be sure to start the nonresident return first (NJ), and resident return last (NY). Instructions for preparing a nonresident state return are provided below. 

The state income tax you paid to NJ will be applied as a credit to your NY on that same income. If you are due a refund from NJ, the program will calculate that for you and it will appear on the refund meter.

impromptu97

But what do I have to type in the other wage adjustments for the w2 in the state section?
Should I just click next and ignore that section? Since I earned all that money for that employer in nj
impromptu97

And I also get NJ income tax 0
and no credit. IS that fine?
DianeW

@impromptu97 On the NY return all worldwide income is included and taxed, then they allow a credit for taxes paid to NJ (another state on the same income).  Do the NJ return by selecting a status of Nonresident.  Include the wages on the NJ return that are earned from working there, do not reduce the NJ income. This return must be completed first so that NY knows the amount of the credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income.  NY doesn't want you to pay tax on the income twice.
heidichip

Live in NYC but work in NJ and prepared the NY return first.  It appears that the taxes paid to NJ are not flowing to the NY return as a credit.  How do I fix this now that I prepared one return before the other return.

JotikaT2

You can try 2 things.

Go over your New Jersey return again.  This may allow you pull the New York information in. 

1. Go to the state interview section.
  2. Select New Jersey
  3. Select Go Over return again

Or your other option is to delete New Jersey and then add it again.  This may pull the other state credit back into your resident return since your New York nonresident return will already be there.

chlwls808

I live in NY and work in NJ. I'm filing return as non-resident for NJ. 

I have some crypto gains that I am reporting. In NJ, this is considered as Disposition of Property and automatically calculated my P/L. Do I continue to file or omit as I live in NY?

DianeW777

New York (NY) does not have a reciprocal agreement with any state. Therefore your wages would have to be reported on the New Jersey (NJ) and then a credit for taxes paid to another state would be used on the NY return. Your resident state will not tax you twice on the same income.  The credit is limited to what the actual tax liability is in the foreign state or the tax your resident state would actually charge whichever is less.

The crypto gains should be on the NY return only as your resident state. You should not pay tax in NJ for the crypto transactions. When in your NJ return you should be able to make the adjustment for income that should not be taxed as a nonresident.