turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year's state tax return rejected

My state taxes got rejected last year, and after like 2 more attempts of trying I gave up and forgot about them. Can I still file them, and is there a penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can still file the return, but e-filing is closed for a past year return. You have to print, sign and mail the return now.  If you are getting a tax refund there is no penalty for being late.  If you owe tax due then expect a bill later for the penalty and interest owed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You can still file the return, but e-filing is closed for a past year return. You have to print, sign and mail the return now.  If you are getting a tax refund there is no penalty for being late.  If you owe tax due then expect a bill later for the penalty and interest owed.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks so much for the help! 

Just one more question, where do I go to print the return? 

Use the same account and user ID that you used when you prepared the return.

PRINT RETURN   You need to print a copy of your return?  Sign in to your account using exactly the same account and user ID that you used to prepare your return.
On the bottom of the screen find Your tax returns & documents and click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

I just print and sign the first page? And after mailing what comes next? 

After mailing it you wait for your refund if you are getting one.  If you owe--pay the tax due and include a check or money order with your tax return or pay on the state's web site.

Allow several weeks and then you can check to see what is happening with it at the state.

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

Do I attach anything else as to what I'm trying to do with the forms I provide? Or just the printed return and w2?

That's it, unless you have any sort of 1099 showing tax withheld--like a 1099R, for example.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies