turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residence in NY but consulted large portion of the year in TX. How to handle?

My residence in NYC in New York state. For much of 2017,  I was consulting and working Texas with weekends back in NY.  Because Texas doesn't have an income tax, I don't have to file there. My W-2s for NYS reflect that not all my federal income was earned in the state. From what I understand though, TurboTax can't handle this situation. Is that true?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes TT can handle that. In fat, it's not an issue. That would only be a potential problem if you were filing more than one state return.

As a full year NY resident, all your income, regardless of where earned is subject to NY tax. Had you been required to pay tax in another state, NY would give you a credit for that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes TT can handle that. In fat, it's not an issue. That would only be a potential problem if you were filing more than one state return.

As a full year NY resident, all your income, regardless of where earned is subject to NY tax. Had you been required to pay tax in another state, NY would give you a credit for that.

But my W-2 for NYS clearly indicates that only part of my income was earned in the state. I don't have to file income tax in Texas but that's because they don't have one. In past years, where I've worked in multiple states I file in each of those states and only pay partial income tax in NYS. My own tax office at work seems to think this should be the same this year.

Although I don't disagree with you that does make sense too. But generally the view at work is when you work in a no tax state as a consultant that should benefit you.

It is the law unfortunately, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.  The tax office at work is incorrect.  In the past, you might have worked in states with an income tax so NYS gave you a credit for taxes paid.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies