Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is state tax filing required for ESPP bought in prior yer but sold in current year

Should I file CA state tax return if I never worked in CA in 2019, but I sold ESPP stock from previous employer (I used to work in CA before 2017). Due to the sale of ESPP, I received a W2 from prior employer showing CA wages. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Is state tax filing required for ESPP bought in prior yer but sold in current year

Yes, you should file a CA non-resident tax return.  Include only the ordinary income amount recognized from the sale of your ESPP stock.  Do not include the capital gain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I think I found the answer to my own question on FTB CA website - quote:

"If you exercise an option under an employee stock purchase plan while a California resident or nonresident and later sell the stock in a qualifying or disqualifying disposition while a nonresident, California will tax the resulting ordinary income to the extent you performed services in California from the grant date to the exercise date. Any capital gain has a source in your state of residence at the time you sold the stock." 

So this means I should file a CA income tax return as non-resident. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should file a CA non-resident tax return.  Include only the ordinary income amount recognized from the sale of your ESPP stock.  Do not include the capital gain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies