turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Indiana tax payment 2020

why have I not received a notice that my e-file payment to Indiana was received? I got a e-mail saying they received my return and accepted it, but I never saw withdrawal from my bank statement.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

31 Replies

Indiana tax payment 2020

TT does not send such a notice, and Indiana might not either.  Unless you specified a payment date, it happens on April 15.

Indiana tax payment 2020

I just gave you a general answer.  However, it appears that IN does not have a direct debit option via your tax return efiling.  When you filed your state return, TT would have told you the various options, as follows:

Line 26 – Amount Due – Payment Options
There are several ways to pay the amount you owe.
Make your check, money order or cashier’s check payable to: Indiana
Department of Revenue. Just include the payment loose in the
envelope. Do not staple it to the return. Do not send cash.

You may also pay using the electronic eCheck payment method.
This service uses a paperless check and may be used to pay the tax
due with your Indiana individual income tax return, as well as any
billings issued by the Indiana Department of Revenue for any tax type.
To pay, go to www.in.gov/dor/online-services/dorpay-tax-and-billpayment/and follow the step-by-step instructions. You will receive a confirmation number and should keep this with your tax filing
records. The fee for using this service is $1.
Note. All payments made to the Indiana Department of Revenue must
be made with U.S. funds.

You may also pay by using your MasterCard® or VISA® by logging on
to www.in.gov/dor/online-services/dorpay-tax-and-bill-payment/.
A convenience fee will be charged by the credit card processor based
on the amount you are paying. You will be told what the fee is and
you will have the option to either cancel or continue the credit card
transaction.

MrsCarp17

Indiana tax payment 2020

I am having the same issue. TurboTax gave me the option at the end of my tax filing to enter my bank info for both federal and again for state and schedule a payment date giving the illusion the amount would be debited from my account. A week later Federal came out but the state did not. 

Indiana tax payment 2020

Just had the same thing happen to me.  Filled in bank info to debit fed taxes due and TT made it look like it was going to just use the same info for Indiana.  I gave date to debit and assumed all was good.

At the end of TT session, was told I had to print page out even though I e filed.  Turns out page was payment page for IN taxes due, saying I needed to pay them.

So I am confused.  Did TT pay them or not?

I looked at IN tax info worksheet.  It shows that I am going to echeck them and gives the date I put into TT, but there is NO mention of bank info and the box next to the echeck payment option is blank (no x in it)

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Indiana tax payment 2020

TurboTax did not pay Indiana.  Indiana does not allow for your taxes to be paid directly from the tax return.  Please see this website to pay your Indiana tax due:  DOR: DORpay - Tax & Bill Payment - IN.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ay85
Level 1

Indiana tax payment 2020

I was also duped by this - I entered my bank info thinking TT was going to pay my state taxes, and now I'm being hit with a late payment penalty plus interest because I only noticed after the fact that the money wasn't taken from my account. 

XX25
Level 2

Indiana tax payment 2020

I filed accuracy complaint about this exact issue I had with my Indiana taxes. I was told initially to wait for penalty letter and get back with them, and it would be  taken care of (penalty & interest for paying late) and when I sent the info from the state for the penalty & interest I was told I selected pay by check which I did not, I was denied reimbursement!!! I think we should turn in a formal complaint to consumer protection agency.

Indiana tax payment 2020

In the FILE tab step 2 where you choose how to pay the fed & state balance dues ... these are the screens you see for paying an IN balance due ... the instructions are quite clear ... nothing is paid thru the TT system you had to use the link to go to the IN website to set up the debit.  You are also instructed to save the confirmation number so if the state says you didn't pay you have the proof you set up the debit with the state. 

1.png2.png

XX25
Level 2

Indiana tax payment 2020

Critter-3'

XX25
Level 2

Indiana tax payment 2020

Critter-3,

How would you even know what screens came up on screen when I was filing my taxes unless you were looking over my shoulder while I was filing my taxes,  since you were looking over my shoulder why didn't you point that out to me then so this wouldn't happen.  Why would turbo tax tell me the same bank info used for federal direct debit would be use for state direct debit if that process was not allowed in Indiana, just the fact that  turbo tax even suggested that direct debit was available is misleading since it is not allowed in Indiana is enough for me to feel this is the fault of the software. My having to go to the Indiana web site to set up my payment IS NOT direct in any way shape or form.

Indiana tax payment 2020

I received acknowledgment of filing but they did not debit my checking account as I had set up for Federal (worked fine) and Indiana.  Now I get a notice with a 182 fine.  Will TT pay the fine???

Indiana tax payment 2020

No I was not looking over your shoulder however I have answer the same question many times over the years and it is always a user error for not reading the screen and  following the instructions.    This is NOT covered under the TT accuracy guarantee and they will not pay the penalties or interest for this situation.  

But if you want to discuss this further then you need to talk directly to TT support :

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

XX25
Level 2

Indiana tax payment 2020

I'm still pushing to get mine paid I doubt it will do any good since I can't reproduce what I KNOW I SAW when I e-filed selecting the direct debit option for the state using the same bank info for Federal. They keep calling me a d*** A** and I misread the screen, which I know I didn't. Good luck

Indiana tax payment 2020

Same thing just happened to me, and it's 2023. Intuit please take the option for ACH tax payment out for the state of Indiana if they don't actually offer it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies