Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlex
Returning Member

Incorrect address on state return

My wife and I live in 2 separate states (Me:NY Wife:California). We own a home in California which is where she lives and i rent an apartment in nyc. WE filed our federal taxes together, but did 2 separate state returns. I am having issues with changing my wifes address on her state return. It looks like turbo tax pulled my address from the federal returns which is not where my wife lives. I am unable to edit the address portion of her california state return. It shows my address in new york. How can i fix this?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Your wife could prepare a 'mock' MFS Federal return to flow her info into her MFS California return properly.  If you download TurboTax Desktop, you can transfer your online tax data files into it, then her MFS 'mock' federal return address would transfer automatically to the California Info Worksheet. 

Here's How to Transfer from TurboTax Online to TurboTax Desktop

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is no option for "tax tools" in my left hand menu to download my tax return. 

Is there another way to fix the address without having to purchase another product from turbo tax? I dont think this is right to charge an extra $80 dollars on top of what i am paying for federal and 2 states for something that should be easily fixed.

Call in and ask for the Desktop download program.  Did you already pay for Online version?

See this article on how to file a joint federal return and file separate state returns…..
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-se...

You need to do 3 separate federal returns. One for Joint and 1 for each spouse to do the mock separate federal return to do the separate state returns.

If you are using the online version it will be cheaper and easier to do it in the desktop version. Contact Customer Service to give you the desktop program download.

Reading the FAQ it looks like you have to use 3 accounts. One to file the Joint return. Then you each need another account to fill out fake federal MFS returns to do your separate state returns. So you will have to PAY for 3 online accounts (3 federal returns and 2 state returns). That's why it's cheaper to use the Desktop installed program. If you don't have a computer to install the desktop program on maybe it would be cheaper and easier to go to a local accountant or tax place.

How do i send my state taxes without sending my mock federal taxes? The desktop version wont allow me to send my california tax returns without the mock fed? I sent my federal taxes Married filing jointly already and im stuck not being able to send my california or new york state which i did Married filing separately. 

mlex
Returning Member

Turbo tax desktop is stating i need to file my new state taxes through e-file but since i created a mock married filing single it wont let me send the state without sending the mock taxes. I am stuck with the california state taxes as well because it is reporting the same thing.  How do i get around this?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Go through the filing steps and elect to print/mail your returns.  You cannot e-file those separate state returns.  You will not need to mail the federal either as you already e-filed jointly.  Your separate CA and NY returns will print for mailing.

mlex
Returning Member

Thank DMark. On my state return for ny it states "return must be e-filed" at the top. Should i just ignore and send the docs with that stated on top?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You can ignore and file by mail.   The label is there as part of the NY e-file requirement.  However, since your software does not support the e-file of your return you are not required to e-file it.  Here is the NY reference.

Do i need to attach a copy of my married filing jointly fed return to the california return?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will need to attach a copy of your federal return even if it was prepared jointly and your California return is prepared separately.

Please see this link for details on mailing your return to the Franchise Tax Board.

@mlex23 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies