Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone tell me what the delay in forms for the state of California? My state return says started but my federal was accepted. Please advise if I should file again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can anyone tell me what the delay in forms for the state of California? My state return says started but my federal was accepted. Please advise if I should file again?

If your state return shows as "Started," it will show that way until your federal return has been accepted by the IRS. It can only be e-filed once federal is accepted. 

The IRS has stated that they will not start accepting e-filed returns until January 29, 2018. When will the IRS start accepting e-filed returns?

And if you have forms in your return that are not yet ready, it can't be filed until CA has finalized them. You can check dates here State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products 

So once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS on January 29th, you can log back into your account and file your state return. You can use the instructions below to help you file the state return at that time. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If your state return shows as "Started," it will show that way until your federal return has been accepted by the IRS. It can only be e-filed once federal is accepted. 

The IRS has stated that they will not start accepting e-filed returns until January 29, 2018. When will the IRS start accepting e-filed returns?

And if you have forms in your return that are not yet ready, it can't be filed until CA has finalized them. You can check dates here State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products 

So once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS on January 29th, you can log back into your account and file your state return. You can use the instructions below to help you file the state return at that time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies