turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dngiani

If I live and work in 2 different cities in Ohio, will city taxes for both be taken out of my paycheck?

I work in Fairfield and city taxes already come out of each paycheck. I just moved to West Chester.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If I live and work in 2 different cities in Ohio, will city taxes for both be taken out of my paycheck?

By law, your employer is only required to withhold for the work location city, although many will voluntarily withhold for the resident city as well. So, you'll have to ask your employer (it will be readily apparent on your first pay check-pay stub). Most small employers will only withhold for the work city. It's too much paperwork to do both.

You normally only have to file a return in the city you live in. It is not necessary to file one in the city you work in, if different. Your employer will remit withholding to the city you work in, but you do not file a return unless you're claiming a refund or your employer didn't withhold enough ( both highly unusual). The city you live in will allow a credit or partial credit for the withheld tax you paid to the work location city

If you  moved to West Chester, from Fairfield, in 2018, you will have to file returns in both cities, for 2018. You will have file as a part year resident of each. This assumes both cities have a City Income Tax.

To verify or find out if you live in a school district or city with an income tax enter your address at:

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

By law, your employer is only required to withhold for the work location city, although many will voluntarily withhold for the resident city as well. So, you'll have to ask your employer (it will be readily apparent on your first pay check-pay stub). Most small employers will only withhold for the work city. It's too much paperwork to do both.

You normally only have to file a return in the city you live in. It is not necessary to file one in the city you work in, if different. Your employer will remit withholding to the city you work in, but you do not file a return unless you're claiming a refund or your employer didn't withhold enough ( both highly unusual). The city you live in will allow a credit or partial credit for the withheld tax you paid to the work location city

If you  moved to West Chester, from Fairfield, in 2018, you will have to file returns in both cities, for 2018. You will have file as a part year resident of each. This assumes both cities have a City Income Tax.

To verify or find out if you live in a school district or city with an income tax enter your address at:

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx

I have the exact same question. I work in Fairfield where they withhold income tax and I live in West Chester where there is no income tax. My employer is withholding income tax will I get it back when I file?
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you cannot get any of that refunded.  And you do not need to file a Fairfield city return. What your employer withheld is the exact amount that is due to Fairfield.

I moved from Columbus to Cincinnati and need to calculate my income at the time of my move; is it as simple as using the YTD taxable income amount from my last paystub while living in Columbus?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I moved from Columbus to Cincinnati and need to calculate my income at the time of my move; is it as simple as using the YTD taxable income amount from my last paystub while living in Columbus?

A. Yes.

andhale

Ok, I live in Columbus but work in Newark.  Columbus is 2.5% and because I work in Newark they only take out 1%.  Obviously, I owe the city of Columbus.  I have paid the city of Columbus for several years.  Because I have paid the City of Columbus in the past can they require me to estimate my taxes and pay quarterly?  The city of Columbus sent me a letter saying that I need to estimate my taxes.  Is this true?  Can I have my employer in Newark take additional out to make up the difference?  Is my employer required to allow me to do be able to take additional out on my city taxes? I know they allow you to take additional on state and federal but, they are saying they don't do additional on city.

@andhale Your employer has to take out the Newark tax because that is where you work.  The employer does not have to withhold tax for Columbus, where you live.   Since you have to pay the difference for the higher tax rate for Columbus, where you live, it would be better for you to pay quarterly to Columbus, which you could do on the Columbus tax web site.

https://www.columbus.gov/IncomeTaxDivision/FilingAndPayments/E-FileE-PayCreditsACH/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What if I relocated to another state late in the year (August)? I moved to FL in August which still puts me in the category of full time resident for Ohio. Do I have to pay taxes for the income made in another state to the city in Ohio since that is technically where my full time residency was for the year?

I live in Cleveland and work in North Olmsted. North Olmsted takes out city taxes. I have paid my taxes to ccatax for cleveland but when I tried to file my annual for ccatax Cleveland it says that on my W2 there was not enough came out for North Olmsted? What do I, do? I have never had this problem before. It says box 5 and box 19 dont match the tax liability. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Check your entries for your W-2, specifically box 5 and 19, they should be the same. 

If not, talk with the payroll department where you work. 

The W-2 is under your income in TurboTax; click "edit" next to your W-2 and check the boxes to make sure they match your paper W-2. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• My box 18 19 and 20 is labeled completely different 18 says work city name
  • 19 says work City wages
  • and 20 says work city tax.

How do I go about finding out which to input for TurboTax 18 19 and 20.

Yes I live in one city and work in another they printed me a page to WW2 as different numbers with the resident city named resident City wages and Resident city tax please assist

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Msmithm18  - Ask your employer for a corrected W-2.

In the mean time, you have all the info you need to file. When you enter your W-2 in TurboTax, enter the items in the correct boxes on the W-2 screen:

•  work city name to box 20
  • work City wages to box 18
  •  work city tax to box 19

"they printed me a page to WW2 as different numbers with the resident city named resident City wages and Resident city tax please assist"  I don't know what that means.  Did they even withhold for the residence city? That would be unusual (but not unheard of).  Or are you saying that the numbers in boxes 18-20 of your W-2 are totals for both your residence and work cities and the separate sheet gives you the breakdown? If so, that's just more correcting for your employer to do.  He is required to use two lines on the W-2 and separate the info for the two cities.  You could enter the break down, on two lines, at the W-2 screen; which would allow you to file. But you may get some kick back from the citys after you file

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

They may. You will need to view your W2 to see if city taxes were taken out.  This will be sprecifically listed in boxes 18-20 of your W2 listed by your employer. If it is not listed in those boxes, do not record the information. They may have included the information on a supplemental form so that you can file a tax return directly with that city. You may check with your employer to clarify the information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nocturion

Hi @Hal_Al, me and my wife are in a similar situation. Back in 2019 we bought a house in Plain City, OH. She works in Hilliard and I work in Dublin and both our employers withhold 2% for local income tax (for Dublin and Hilliard respectively), on top of that we pay the local School District tax which in. Couple of weeks ago we received a bill for more than $4,000 from the village of Plain City for local taxes for the portion of 2019 and the whole of 2020. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies