Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am using the 3,000 max capital loss carryover, does this apply to both federal and state returns? I am filling in California state return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If I am using the 3,000 max capital loss carryover, does this apply to both federal and state returns? I am filling in California state return.

Yes.  You can continue to take the maximum $3,000 on your federal return if you have enough income to use it.  If not TurboTax will calculate your carryover.

California (CA):

Line 6 – California capital loss carryover from 2022  CA Capital Gain or Loss Adjustment

If you were a resident of California for all prior years, enter your California capital loss carryover from 2022. However, if you were a nonresident of California during any taxable year that generated a portion of your 2022 capital loss carryover, recalculate your 2022 capital loss carryover as if you resided in California for all prior years. Get FTB Pub. 1100, Taxation of Nonresidents and Individuals Who Change Residency, for more information. Enter your California capital loss carryover amount from 2022 on line 6.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The federal carryover seemed correct at -3000.

For some reason, the carryover for California was calculated to be 0 however. I am not sure if this was correct. So I was wondering if I needed to input myself the carryover to be 3,000.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need access to your 2022 California state return to determine the correct amount to enter into TurboTax for your 2023 tax return.

The California capital loss carryover from 2022 will be reflect on your 2022 California Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet.  The amount on line 8 is your capital loss carryover amount for 2023.

If you are using TurboTax online, once you locate the amount, you can log back into TurboTax and select Your State Returns from the panel on the left.

1. Select Edit to the right of your state.
  2. Select edit to the right of Income and adjustments
  3. Proceed through the screens until you see the screen titled "Here's the income that California handles differently."  
  4. Scroll down to the section titled Investments and select start/revisit to the right of Capital Loss Carryover from Last Year.
  5. You will be prompted to enter your state specific capital loss carryover amounts from 2022.

If you are using the desktop version of TurboTax, you can enter the California capital loss carryover amount in the state interview section of the program.

1. Select the State Taxes tab and then select edit to the right of Income and adjustments.
  2. On the page titled "Here's the income that California handles differently, select edit to the right of Capital Loss Carryover from last year.  
  3. You will be prompted to enter your state specific capital loss carryover amounts from 2022.

@nkazi97 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rooksmith

Ok - I saw the same thing. The California form is *NOT* perfect, and in fact because of an ambiguity it doesnt copy over the carryforward of the California form. You would think it would just use the Federal Form, but California has so many different tax laws, it has it secretly stored separately.  (Its hiding in plain sight if you used California State Turbo Tax last year). What you need to do as explained partially in the instruction above, is to pull up your 2022 turbo tax, then go into the STATE return right away, then open Forms and look for the Schedule D stuff.  As stated by the previous dude,  there is a form called the CALIFORNIA CAPITAL LOSS CARROVER WORKSHEET

Screenshot 2024-03-21 120550.png

Right in there is a Carryforward calculation with the right number. Print it out, save the PDF, but at least dont lose the worksheet. It has a number that might be different than the Federal Carryover amount. (this can get confusing, especially if you had AMT). Use that carryover number. I Hope this helps - and I am getting tired of TurboTax bugs. They should give us free copies for doing their QA, imho!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies