turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

touchtony

I used EasyGuide for Washington state sales taxes and put 9.5% there, but the result came out with over $6,000 local sales tax deduction, which I think is too high.

I used the IRS calculator, and only get around $2,000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anita01

I used EasyGuide for Washington state sales taxes and put 9.5% there, but the result came out with over $6,000 local sales tax deduction, which I think is too high.

The general sales tax rate for the state is 6.5% and that's what the IRS uses.  In the program, you can add city and local and tax rates to the state number.  

If you want to change it, 

type sales tax in the Find window in the upper right, 

then hit enter 

and then select the Jump To below.  

You'll come to a little summary showing the state you've already entered.  Edit and go back through the interview to make changes.

touchtony

The strange thing is that, for year 2015, TurboTax only had about $2700, but jumped to over $6000 this year. Our income only changes around 10% and have a new baby in 2016, but I don't think this should dramatically change the number here, right?
Anita01

well, a three person household definitely starts out with a higher base sales tax amount than a two person.  You can always lower it by changing the tax rate but I did see, when I looked up the state rate, that the information said the full rate including local could be as high as 9.9%.  To feel certain, you'd really have to go back to 2015 to see what you entered then.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies