jvenusti

I live overseas, but want to use TurboTax to file my taxes. How do I start? TT asks for a state, but there is no option for overseas.

mesquitebean

Are you asking how to answer the screen where it asks "Tell us the state you lived in on December 31, 2015" (state of residence)?

If so, in the dropdown menu there scroll all the way down to the bottom of the menu past Wyoming, and you will see "Foreign or US Possession."   (See screen image #1 below.)

When you get to the mailing address screen, you chose "foreign country" in the dropdown menu for "type of address", and the boxes will reformat so you can select your country, international postal code, etc.  (See screen image #2.)

The phone field on that mailing address screen will only take a USA-formatted phone number, so if you have an international number you may not be able to enter it and can leave it blank.  A phone number is not required to file, and the IRS doesn't phone for initial contact anyway.

mesquitebean

Jonagelo

My electronic filing keeps getting rejected. It says phone not recognized. I've used 10 digit ph from textme app and a friends. Still a no-go.

KatrinaLO

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about rejected returns and how to fix them:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return/00/26136