Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Glayzner

I live and work in Oregon - but my employer sent me (back and forth each week) to CA to work with the branch there for 3 months. Do I need to file OR and CA state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I live and work in Oregon - but my employer sent me (back and forth each week) to CA to work with the branch there for 3 months. Do I need to file OR and CA state taxes?

Technically, you need to file  for both states, but "nobody" does, unless your employer withholds for CA.  See http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/28/pf/taxes/business-traveler-tax-threat/  If you live in a state without an income tax (e.g. WA, FL or TX), it’s more likely you should file in the work states. You can't use the "it all comes out even" rationale for not filing.

If you file, you would file a non-resident CA return and a full year resident OR return. OR will tax all your income for the year. CA will tax only your income earned while physically in CA,  but give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay OR on the same income*.

*CA & OR are "reverse" or "contrary" states. In most states, your resident state gives you a credit for the tax paid to the non resident state. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you have both Oregon and California state taxes withheld from your wages?
Since you live and work in Oregon you definitely have to file an Oregon resident state tax return.
Glayzner

No - I was issued a single W2 and the only W/H was for Oregon.
Glayzner

I have never filed anything but the standard simplest taxes, this is very new territory for me. Do I just estimate what portion of my salary was earned in CA?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, if you decide to file a CA return, you make your best estimate of the amount from your travel records.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Technically, you need to file  for both states, but "nobody" does, unless your employer withholds for CA.  See http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/28/pf/taxes/business-traveler-tax-threat/  If you live in a state without an income tax (e.g. WA, FL or TX), it’s more likely you should file in the work states. You can't use the "it all comes out even" rationale for not filing.

If you file, you would file a non-resident CA return and a full year resident OR return. OR will tax all your income for the year. CA will tax only your income earned while physically in CA,  but give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay OR on the same income*.

*CA & OR are "reverse" or "contrary" states. In most states, your resident state gives you a credit for the tax paid to the non resident state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies