Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 592-B form (with taxes from CA already paid in full).This the only income I received from California (prize winnings). Do I still have to file a CA state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I have a 592-B form (with taxes from CA already paid in full).This the only income I received from California (prize winnings). Do I still have to file a CA state return?

Technically, you did not "pay" taxes with the form 592-B; instead, you withheld an amount to help pay taxes when you do your California return.

Normally, all California source income is subject to California taxes, so you would do a Form 540NR, California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return. 

Note that you may or may not owe tax to California, depending on the circumstances. But even if you don’t owe tax, you may want to file the California return in order to get some or all of the money withheld on the 592-B refunded to you.

You would enter the amount withheld on the 592-B in two places: once on the federal return (see the linked answer at the bottom), and again on the California return (See instructions below for CA 592-B).

***How to enter a 592-B on the 2017 California return***

Once you have entered the amount withheld on the 592-B on the federal return, then go to the California interview in TurboTax. Navigate until you see the screen entitled "Take a look at California credits and taxes".

Go down to "Payments and withholding", and click on Start or Revisit for "Real Estate Withholding" (yes, really).

Once you are in this part of the interview, you will be asked if you received a 592-B and will be given a chance to complete an online version so that it can be attached to your California return.

Here is the link for how to enter the withholding from the 592-B on the federal return. Note, the issue of how to enter the 592-B on the CA return has changed in 2017 (see instructions above) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5669186

I have a 592-B Resident and Nonresident withholding tax statement from Ca.  What do I do with it?  I live in Illinois

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, since gambling winnings from California is California-sourced income, this should be reported on a California 540 NR non-resident tax return. You would also enter this on your federal return also.  Please click on this link on how to report this in your federal return.

Here is how you will enter this on your California 540NR return after you entered the information in your federal return. 

1. Once you have began preparing your California return in TurboTax Navigate until you see the screen entitled "Take a look at California credits and taxes".
  2. Go down to "Payments and withholding", and click on Start or Revisit for "Real Estate Withholding
  3. Once you are in this part of the interview, you will be asked if you received a 592-B and will be given a chance to complete an online version so that it can be attached to your California return.

Please review this Turbo Tax link for further details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
megslater

Hi. to the person that lives in Illinois.  What did you come up with. I live in Iowa and paid CA withholding taxes on my condo through my property management co. , now I need to get them back as I didn't have CA income.  I am having trouble putting the 592-B form in turbo tax. Did you have any trouble? Specifically the "SSN/ITIN" box i am trying to leave blank as I have a "CA Corp. no" on the form. It will not let me proceed. I have called turbo tax 2x already and emailed my property company to ensure their form is right. both people say the other one is to blame for the error. HELP!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies