turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mutaam

Hi, I'm trying to put American Samoa as my state of residence, how can I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Hi, I'm trying to put American Samoa as my state of residence, how can I do that?

You would choose Foreign or US Possession. 

• In your program, to your left, select My Info
  • On the screen, Your Personal Info
  • Tell us the state(s) you lived in, in the drop-down menu, you would scroll all the way down to Foreign or US Possession
  • Follow prompts

I added a screen image to the steps above.  I couldn't add one in a comment.

Here's another tip:

When you later come to the screen that asks for your mailing address, you'll need to first choose the option in a dropdown menu that says it is a different type of address so that the input boxes will change to a different format.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Thank You epo39b.  Very nice of you.

Oops, sorry, I mistyped something above.  In my "tip" above, I first said "foreign" for when you come to the mailing address section, but I just saw that there is also a separate dropdown choice for "US Possession" in that mailing address section.   I don't know exactly how the territory of American Samoa is considered, but I presume "possession."

You may have been emailed the comment that mentioned choosing a "foreign" mailing address, so please disregard that.  You can choose the proper address type when you get to the mailing address section.

YW to TurboTaxLina.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies