Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johi119

As a student, I paid DC income taxes despite living in NYC. How would a tax return work in my case? Would I get a refund of my DC income tax and have to pay NYC taxes?

I'm a full time student in Washington DC and I ended up paying DC income taxes previously this year for about 2,600$ after taxes. Should I file a tax return? Would I end up getting my taxes back, and have to pay NYC taxes for that much earned? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

As a student, I paid DC income taxes despite living in NYC. How would a tax return work in my case? Would I get a refund of my DC income tax and have to pay NYC taxes?

DC law requires that you file a DC tax return if you lived in DC for 183 days or more during the tax year, even if your permanent residence (your domicile) is in another state.  https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/page/individual-income-tax-filing-faqs

If you lived in DC fewer than 183 days, file DC Form 40-B Non-Resident request for Refund to receive a refund of the withheld DC taxes.

Since your domicile is New York State, you must file a NYS resident tax return unless:

1. You did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year; and
  2. You maintained a permanent place of abode outside New York State during the entire tax year; and
  3. You spent 30 days or less (a part of a day is a day for this purpose) in New York State during the tax year. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/pit_definitions.htm

If you must file in both jurisdictions, you'll be able to take a credit on your NYS return for taxes paid to DC, so you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

DC law requires that you file a DC tax return if you lived in DC for 183 days or more during the tax year, even if your permanent residence (your domicile) is in another state.  https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/page/individual-income-tax-filing-faqs

If you lived in DC fewer than 183 days, file DC Form 40-B Non-Resident request for Refund to receive a refund of the withheld DC taxes.

Since your domicile is New York State, you must file a NYS resident tax return unless:

1. You did not maintain any permanent place of abode in New York State during the tax year; and
  2. You maintained a permanent place of abode outside New York State during the entire tax year; and
  3. You spent 30 days or less (a part of a day is a day for this purpose) in New York State during the tax year. https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/pit_definitions.htm

If you must file in both jurisdictions, you'll be able to take a credit on your NYS return for taxes paid to DC, so you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
johi119

Great, thank you so much for the answer!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies