Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is form 8879?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

What is form 8879?

Form 8879 is an electronic signature document that is used to authorize e-filing. It is generated by the software using both the taxpayer's self-selected PIN and the Electronic Return Originator's (ERO's) Practitioner PIN. 

Purpose of Form Form 8879 is the declaration document and signature authorization for an e-filed return filed by an electronic return originator (ERO). Complete Form 8879 when the Practitioner PIN method is used or when the taxpayer authorizes the ERO to enter or generate the taxpayer’s personal identification number (PIN) on his  on his or her e-filed individual income tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf

Leey2121

What is form 8879?

How do I use this phone on turbo taxes

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

What is form 8879?

Here is a link for Mobile Apps for TurboTax.  You can download from the Apple Store or Google Play as appropriate.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is form 8879?

Hello,

Does one need to know the 5 digit self-select pin from the prior year's form 8879C to successfully efile the current year 1120?

What do you do if you can't remember the old 5 digit pin you entered? Can you select a new 5 digit pin or will the return be rejected? If it's rejected without the correct last year's pin, what is the solution?

Thank you.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

What is form 8879?

@hentaxx You can use your PIN from last year, or you can create a new PIN for this year.

You will need to enter your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) from last year if you create a new PIN.

Click this link for more info on the Self-Select PIN.

What is form 8879?

Hi Marilyn,

For a form 1120 would I still need the AGI if entering a new pin? The online documentation says that the AGI is only for a form 1040.

Is there a different form of identification required for a form 1120 if entering a new pin this year?

Thank you.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

What is form 8879?

No, there is not an entry or line on Form 1120-S for "adjusted gross income".  This is for individual returns only (1040) as you noted. 

The pin is used as your electronic signature when completing the Form 8879-S for e-file.  There doesn't seem to be an indication you must use the same pin that was used on a prior year return. You can select any five digits for the new year, then keep that available in your file should you need it before the return is fully processed and on the chance the IRS would change guidelines for the next year.

• Indicate or verify his or her PIN when authorizing the ERO to enter it (the PIN must be five digits other than all zeros); 
  • Instructions for Form 8879-S
HJflower-1
Returning Member

What is form 8879?

Form 8879 does not appear to be in the turbotax premier program.  How do I verify my signature?

What is form 8879?

@HJflower-1 wrote:

Form 8879 does not appear to be in the turbotax premier program.  How do I verify my signature?

A Form 8879 is used by a paid tax preparer who is the ERO - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8879.pdf

The TurboTax program you used is for self-prepared returns and does not require a Form 8879.

HJflower-1
Returning Member

What is form 8879?

How do I enter the five-digit number on Form 1040?  There is no place for it anywhere.

What is form 8879?

@HJflower-1 wrote:

How do I enter the five-digit number on Form 1040?  There is no place for it anywhere.

The 5 digit self-selected PIN is only used for e-filing the tax return.  It is not entered on the Form 1040.

Only the 6 digit Identity Protection PIN issued to you by the IRS after reporting an identity theft is entered on the Form 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies