Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8582 for Virginia filing

Intuit - do you have an update on when the Federal Form 8582 (Passive Activity loss limitation) will be updated so that I can file my Virginia return?  Is there a work around?  I need the form for my Federal and another State return I am filing - I actually don't have any Va passive activities to report.  Is there a way to delete 8582 for Virginia return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just to close the loop.  Today 3/5/2022, I downloaded the latest update, which was released 3/2/2022 including VA update.  I was able to e-file both Federal and State.  I no longer get the 8582 form not ready issue!

View solution in original post

41 Replies

I too am waiting on this.   I keep getting an email that says the form is available but ... my state tax review says it isn't.

Exactly my circumstances.😤

Ditto for me.  Got the email on the 18th and as of today still no good.  This is the first year I've had issues.  Been a long time TT user.  Hope it's corrected soon

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't file the Virginia taxes because the updated 8582 form is not yet available. I wonder if the TT is erroneously giving me this message because there is no issue with the Federal 8582 form. How different the State form would be if truly that's an issue?

PSA

I'm getting the same.  Email says the form is ready but when I try file VA return I get the error message that it is still not ready.  Has anyone talked to a "person" at TT?

I made an unsuccessful attempt the other day to contact a human at TT, but gave up after an hour or so on hold...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted aTT representative yesterday. He couldn’t help but consulted with a Tier 2 expert. There is an utter confusion within TT about this. This is simply a software issue, which needs to be fixed. I was told that on Feb 24, there would be another update. Given that TT experts are not responding to   the comments on this thread, I am convinced nothing is going on at TT to fix this issue. It took me several attempts before I could talk to someone. The representatives are not equipped to answer questions that require some thinking and in-depth knowledge. 

Well, that is not encouraging at all. Thanks for the info, however.

I have same issue on 2/20/2022 night saying that the form is not yet ready.  I entered my email address to be notified when the form is ready.  Immediately after, I got an email from TT saying that the form is ready and asked that I check software update to download new version.  I re-tried this morning 2/21/2022 to see if there is a new download, there is none.  I still get the same error, cannot file state e-file due to this blocker.  Anyone has workaround, please advise.

I was notified that the Virginia form 8582 was now available.    I did an undate, hoping it would download.   Still shows not available for me.   I can't proceed with my taxes.   See screen shot below.   I need help, how do I call and talk with a tech support person to fix this.

image.png

DonE2

Am running into the exact same thing.  When I look at the Virginia forms, in the upper right corner of the 8582 it states in bold red letters "DO NOT FILE".  

I read a note in previous post that the person has contacted TT support and said we can try wait for 2/24 to see if there is another software update available to resolve this issue.  Perhaps we can wait for few days and retry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been seeing the same exact message. The TT has not been responsive. When you call TT, you only get to talk to representatives who only follow the standard Q&As. Therefore, you will not get an answer from them. They are evaluated based on how efficient they are in closing the complaints. They will not escalate the issue to next level.  It seems to me that The TT leadership is unaware of this issue. It’s a simple software fix but this among other issues are not on the radar screen of their IT people. Federal 8582 form has not changed. The virginia 8582 is exactly the same. TT has already acknowledged on their website as well as via emails that this form has been updated and yet the software is not functioning properly. TT professionals have not bothered to respond to this thread. I suggest we all should consider another option in 2023. We have been taken for granted by TT.

I have just spent around an hour and half on the phone with some support person.  Friendly and helpful.  We have gone through a lot of checking things, doing updates.   Uninstall and reinstall the software.   Doing a forced software update from some download they emailed me.   But still no joy.   Some systems/software issue.   I am on hold while they try to find someone to escalate this to.  :(    We'll see.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies