Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmcgarrie

Employer deducted state taxes for the wrong state. I have entered the w-2, but it's not giving me the form I need for MD nonresident (505) for a refund. What do i do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Employer deducted state taxes for the wrong state. I have entered the w-2, but it's not giving me the form I need for MD nonresident (505) for a refund. What do i do?

I lived and worked in Tennessee but my employer tagged me to incorrect state, how can i recover state taxes which i have paid

First, check with your employer to confirm the incorrect state entry on the state portion of your W-2.  Typos occur and your employer may have paid taxes to the correct state, but the W-2 data entered displays the wrong state information.

If the W-2 is correctly reflecting the state your employer paid, then revisit the W-2 entry section in TurboTax.  Make sure you enter the state information exactly how it appears on your W-2.  Then follow the steps in the TurboTax FAQ below to complete the nonresident state tax return.  Click "See entire answer" for the full page view.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

laurmyers

Hello,

I experienced the same issue as above, except I was previously a non-resident, and my employer did not update my information when I moved TO the same state as my employer. I moved to NY from NJ right before the start of 2018, so I paid NJ state income tax for all of 2018. When I filed my 2018 return, I entered NY as my state of residence, so I paid my NY state taxes. Can you tell me how I would go about getting a refund on the NJ state taxes that were deducted from my paycheck during 2018? Thanks in advance!

File a non resident NJ return indicating you had zero income on the to get a refund of the incorrectly withholdings. 

@Critter  There's a crucial word missing from your reply. "...on the ___ to get a refund" Would you please fill it in? Thanks!

I ask because I'm amending my 2018 state returns after realizing that my W4 and W2 both should've had a different state, and I'm not sure where to enter the zero income in the state that had the withholding, since the instructions for entering income say to enter it from the W2. (My employer says they won't issue a correcteed W2.) So I'm hoping your missing word will solve that! 

@Critter wrote:

File a non resident NJ return indicating you had zero income on the to get a refund of the incorrectly withholdings. 

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Indicate that you are amending your return for your W-2, and enter zero in Box 16 for state wages. Include an explanation which states that you didn't live or work in the state in question. It would be a good idea to include a statement from your employer to verify your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kazual90

Same problem here.  It was a temp agency that I used YEARS ago when i was in Delaware.  I now live in NJ, filled out the proper paperwork in March when i applied with them but they activated the DE and they said there's nothing they can do.  Do I fill out the 'non-resident ' form in turbotax or somewhere else?  I still have to pay Jersey tax though :(

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, you will have to file nonresident Delaware to get the tax withheld back AND file a New Jersey resident tax return.  

@kazual90

When following these steps NY State won't allow me to file electronically. They note can't file electronically as  NY state withholding is more than 25%. NY State requires filing electronic. Do you know if I can file via paper? If so how do I do it?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file by paper.

How do I print and mail a return with TurboTax CD/Download software?

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax online?

Hi there. My wife employer incorrectly withheld NY state taxes for tax year 2019. I followed you not below adding ZERO for NYS income in box 16 and I included the incorrectly withheld amount in box 17. 

NYS rejected my return. Is there any other options or steps I should be following? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Did you mail your return in?  If so, were you given a reason for the rejection?  Please comment with the reason of the rejection given to you.  Most times, you can respond to the letter or notice based upon the instructions provided on the notice.

If you e-filed, you should have received a rejection code.  Please comment with the code you received so we can assist you.

You can also see the link below for other information on how to proceed if your e-filed return is rejected.

How to fix a rejected return

I filed by mail and received a rejection letter.  My notice code is 3161 and then note that the documentation I submitted does not support my claim.

I am thinking my w-2c is incorrect. Both state wages and state taxes withheld are zero.

Should taxes withheld by the amount they incorrectly withheld?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies