turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-file new york state 2018 amended

I just completed using Turbo Tax Deluxe to amend my 2018 taxes. The Federal form must be mailed. But the New York State form has to be e-filed per the state's policy. However when I get to the e-file section for the NYS amended I get a message from Turbo Tax that says: "The Intuit Electronic Filing Center is closed for the 2018 Personal Income Tax filing season. Please file through the mail".  The problem is that New York State does not accept the amended tax form through the mail. It must be e-filed.

How can this problem be solved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The requirement to e-file the NY state tax return does not apply to the Form IT-201X amended tax return.  See the Instructions for Form IT 201-X, page 4 at this link where you are instructed to mail the ret....

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The requirement to e-file the NY state tax return does not apply to the Form IT-201X amended tax return.  See the Instructions for Form IT 201-X, page 4 at this link where you are instructed to mail the ret....

Ok. I am in the same situation. Just in my case it is saying "the date what you entered should not be after 12/01/2019" after I pressed "transmit your returns"

Does it mean I should delete IT-201X from my amended 2018 and send it my mail? Or I should mail all my NYS 2018 amended return? Could you give more detailed information? Because it is saying "you can e-file NYS amended" but because you have IT-201X in it you can't... 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The IT-201X is the amended return so if you delete it you have nothing to mail.

@mkeehn2016

Thank you! I know it .. the Ttax information is confusing.. "congratulation!! you can e-file NYS amended ..let's start" and then ..upps.. you can't. "the date on your amended NYS 2018 should be before 12/01/2019", (why??) I finished it 03/22/2020  ( I have 3 year after date when my original return was filed, which was 04/08/2019, I had a refund , didn't owe.."

Anyway I am going to mail it .. 

E-filing your amended New York return

New York State requires most tax payers to file electronically if they are using tax software to prepare their return, and this includes amended returns. There is no additional fee for e-filing. The law also provides that once you’ve paid for tax preparation software, you can’t be charged an additional fee for e-filing.
Note: E-filing is a secure way to file that also saves money on postage.

This what Ttax software saying to you during "step-by-step" amending tax return.. And only when you coming to "transmit your return"...it doesn't work...why ? Because it doesn't apply to IT-201X ( as I understood it correctly).. But IT-201X is amended return form..

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax cannot efile the amended returns.

@mkeehn2016

The problem is I don't see a way to print the NY return.  Not only does Turbo Tax first say that you can e-file and then not allow it, if you change the filing option to say you want to print your NY amended return, it is not included in the return that is printed.  This is very poorly designed software - VERY frustrating.  How do we print the NY return?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

if you haven't already pre-paid your TurboTax fees (if any), you'll be asked to pay before you can print.   Amending instructions are at the bottom of this post.  

1. If you're not already in your return, sign in at TurboTax.com and open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools and then Print Center from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper left corner to expand the menu).
  3. Select the first option, Print, save, or preview this year's return and follow any additional instructions.
    • If you're using a free version with no add-on fees, you'll be asked to register first.
  4. Once your PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader, select the printer icon near the top.
  5. Make any adjustments in the Print window and then select Print at the bottom.

Related Information:

@NCC-1701-D

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies