Solved: Does TurboTax generate Form 8454 to opt out of CA efile when it suggests manually filing a CA state return? I need to explain with 8454 because I've e-filed in the past.

rkiyer2001

Does TurboTax generate Form 8454 to opt out of CA efile when it suggests manually filing a CA state return? I need to explain with 8454 because I've e-filed in the past.

TurboTax told me that it cannot e-file my CA state return because of certain non-1099/non-W2 income. That is fine with me. However, it does not seem to generate Form 8454 to opt out of e-filing. My assumption is that CA requires e-filing if an individual has e-filed in the past and that I need to file Form 8454 to explain why I cannot e-file this time. Is my assumption wrong or does Turbotax just not support 8454?

rkiyer2001

I was mistaken in my assumption about mandatory e-filing. It is mandatory to e-pay once you have hit certain guidelines but it is not mandatory to continue to e-file. Form 8454 applies to tax preparers and not to individual filers.

rkiyer2001