turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbotax admit they changed section on 1099-DIV so as not to allow U.S.Treasury income to be deducted from Minnesota taxes? Minnesota has been my state all along.

I know the federal gov't requires to pay them tax, but my state has always allowed me to subtract on Minn. return. My Vanguard forms show the percentage on each fund that holds U.S. treasury obligations ...it declares dividends, not interest. Somethings wrong..just get "review msg" even after deleting
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Does Turbotax admit they changed section on 1099-DIV so as not to allow U.S.Treasury income to be deducted from Minnesota taxes? Minnesota has been my state all along.

The law regarding U.S. Treasury income has not changed. Federal interest is exempt from state taxation. To enter exempt-interest dividends in TurboTax

• Type dividends in Search in the top right
  • Click Jump to dividends
  • Click Review next to the dividend that has U.S. Treasury interest
  • On the screen Let's get the info from your 1099-DIV, check the box near the bottom My form has info in other boxes (this is uncommon)
  • Enter your Exempt-interest dividends in Box 11. Continue.
  • On Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you check A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest. Continue.
  • Enter the amount of U.S. Government interest. This will be subtracted from your state return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ErnieS0 

We're actually talking about box 1a on the 1099-DIV, not box 11.  There is a follow-up page where you indicate what sub-part of box 1a $$ came from US Govt bonds, so that income won't be taxed by whatever state is involved.

This IS a software bug in the "Online" software only  (not in Desktop).....and as yet, we have no indication out here or in the FAQs,  that TTX is working on fixing this BUG.

See actual test numbers and confirmation of the problem  here....and please report the problem up-the-line as a real software bug that needs fixing:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-why-does-turbotax-page-not-accept-the-value-i-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies