turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm filling out a non resident for NY and resident for PA.In my PA resident I need to put tax due to NY but I don't owe NY - I put 0 for income.What should I put there?

I did not telecommute during the time they changed the residency.  My boss changed offices so they changed me for two months.I  have attached the screen to show where I'm at.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I'm filling out a non resident for NY and resident for PA.In my PA resident I need to put tax due to NY but I don't owe NY - I put 0 for income.What should I put there?

Did you physically work in New York in 2018?  If so, income you earned for work actually performed in New York State is taxable by New York.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Did you physically work in New York in 2018?  If so, income you earned for work actually performed in New York State is taxable by New York.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

No I didn't step foot in NY.
TomD8
Level 15

If you never lived in or physically worked in NY, and you never telecommuted for an NY-based employer, and you had no other NY-source income (such as rental income from a property located in NY), then you don't have to file an NY tax return.  Location of your employer's home office is irrelevant, unless you're a telecommuter.

but how do I retrieve the NY state taxes of $621?

I got a W2 that says I made $55000 state and PA withheld $1107 and another W2 that says I made $55000 and NY withheld $621.  But federally my gross was $55000.
TomD8
Level 15

Unfortunately, you'll have to file a non-resident NY tax return, showing zero NY income, in order to obtain a refund of the incorrectly withheld NY taxes.  If the only difference in the W-2's is that one shows the PA withholding and the other shows the NY withholding, enter them as a single W-2, but enter the information for both states.

Do I have to say I made money in other states on the PA one?  thanks so much for helping me

When I file the non resident NY and put zero for income it won't let me efile.  Do I just print it out and send it in?  With this cause me to be audited? And for the PA one should I say I made money in NY if I'm filing that one separate?
TomD8
Level 15

I guess you'll have to mail it in if the system won't let you e-file.  If your W-2 shows NY income, you might want to include a note explaining that you never actually worked in New York State, nor are you a telecommuter for an NY employer, and thus NY taxes should not have been withheld.  On the PA return I would not say that you made money in NY, since in fact you didn't.  

Perfect,  I really can't thank you enough.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies