turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 13 on 1099-R is blank, i.e. no state ID or state Payer's number was entered. However, state taxes (in California) were withheld. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Box 13 on 1099-R is blank, i.e. no state ID or state Payer's number was entered. However, state taxes (in California) were withheld. What should I do?

Contact the issuer of that 1099-R. especially If any taxes were withheld for box 12, then that information is absolutely required.

Be careful if it was a 1099-R from some LA-Public pensions.....some of those pensions have boxes beyond #10 mis-numbered and you have to match the subject of each box before you copy the values into the properly numbered software boxes

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Prabaakr
Returning Member

CalFile asks for 1099-R payer's CA State Number even if there is no CA State Tax withheld and does not let the user to proceed to next window of California State 2019 Tax Return without that number. The Pacific Life Insurance Company that issued 2019's 1099-R to its California recipients who did not have any State Tax withheld any is not showing its State number. Thus the CalFile users are unable to complete filling their State Tax Returns.

Prabaakr
Returning Member

Pacific Insurance Company gives only letters CA in its 1099-R and no numbers for Californians if no tax withheld on that retirement pay. So do not put even the letters CA in CalFile form where it asks for “Payer’s State number”. Leave it blank Then it should lets you proceed further. 😇

I found out yesterday, that even IF state withholding is shown, Pacific Life does not put in the state ID number...and recipients have to call in to their Customer Support to get it.  P.L. apparently hasn't done so for multiple years.

Poor P.L. Customer Support is getting hammered with calls right now....certainly, the state ID # from that same issuer "might not" change for many years, but you'll never know if the state, or P.L. does a re-registration for some reason with new #s, so you'd probably have to call in every year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies