Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot E-file or Print CA Tax Forms - Crashing and Form Unavailable Errors

I am using TurboTax Home & Business on Mac and I have been able to successfully file my federal and other state (VA) return, but I'm stuck trying to file my CA state return as I cannot E-File or print my return or individual CA forms.

E-filing:

When I attempt to e-file, I get this error:

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 12.14.49 AM.png

I got this same error when I initially tried to E-file my Federal and State returns together, but was able to get around it for Federal and VA by submitting those and leaving CA out. Now I see this every time I attempt to submit my CA return.

Printing:

When I attempt to print my entire return (through either the File menu, the "Print Your Returns" button while e-filing, or the "Save for Your Records" step), I get a spinning wheel for 5-10 seconds and then TurboTax crashes (I never see a print menu).

I can print individual Federal and VA forms without issue, but when I attempt to print an individual CA form, I get this error:

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 12.01.30 AM.png

This occurs for every form (including ones listed as available in this list - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_ca_mac_individual.html), so I do not believe this message is accurate and there's something else going on rather than a form availability issue.

Troubleshooting:

Aside from trying everything mentioned above, I've also completely removed and reinstalled TurboTax (using this guide: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050), removed California data and re-completed it, rebooted, and booted into Safe Mode. I have tried all of this on WiFi, wired ethernet, and mobile hotspot, but no matter what I try I cannot e-file or print.

I am using a MacBook Pro w/ an M1 Pro, 32GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.1, no antivirus and only Chrome with a few tabs open, so I don't think it's a resource issue (and I don't see significant usage in Activity Monitor). I also tried using my old MacBook Pro, but when I ran into the same e-file error on that one I gave up.

I'm at a loss since I can't e-file my return or print it to file by mail, so I'm hoping that someone here can help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

That type of crash would appear to be a program bug biased on the content of that data file.  

First I would try to just open the tax return and while holding the option key down a File -> Save As to a new saved file and try opening that new file and see if yiu get the same crash.

If you do, you can contact Customer support and try to escalate to a Mac technical support.   I believe that only a Mac developer who has a copy of your .tax file could pinpoint the problem and fix it.    That could take months.

The other option is to explain the issue to customer support and ask them to provide the online version which is "Self-Employed" (online name of Home & Business)  to you.  You could upload your .tax file to the online version and print from there.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Sounds like your software is not up to date.    You should be on version 26r Build date Apr 17.   Use Top menu bar -> TurboTax -> About TurboTax -> More Info to see it.

If it will not update then:

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Sorry should have put this in the original post, but my application is fully up-to-date. I saw there was a new release (2021.r26.090, released 4/21/22), so I just updated to that and am having the same issues.

I have also previously followed that guide to fully uninstall TurboTax and reinstall and unfortunately that did not solve my issue.

@wbio3 wrote:

Sorry should have put this in the original post, but my application is fully up-to-date. I saw there was a new release (2021.r26.090, released 4/21/22), so I just updated to that and am having the same issues.

I have also previously followed that guide to fully uninstall TurboTax and reinstall and unfortunately that did not solve my issue.

Then what do yu mean by "crash"?   Is there a crash report in the crash log file in Applications -> Console or does it just spin?    And you force close it?

If spin then wait it out for at least 30-45 minutes and see if it eventually prints.

I get a spinning beachball for ~5 seconds, which stops spinning and freezes for another 5 seconds or so, and then TT closes on its own. I don't see any crash report in Console,  but when I follow the logs (using sudo log stream --predicate 'processImagePath CONTAINS[c] "TurboTax"'), I see the following output when it crashes (ignore the '[phone number removed]', those are 10-digit numbers that are getting incorrectly flagged as phone numbers):

2022-04-23 11:54:[phone number removed] 0x21954    Default     0x0                  8893   0    TurboTax 2021: Terminate called after uncaught c++ exception:

0   TurboTax 2021                       [phone number removed]ff49eb PrintStackAndTerminateOnUncaughtCPPException + 59

1   KSCrash                             [phone number removed]90ee10 _ZL21CPPExceptionTerminatev + 86

2   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007ff8197284a7 _ZSt11__terminatePFvvE + 8

3   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007ff81972aeeb __cxa_rethrow + 99

4   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007ff819620e51 objc_exception_rethrow + 37

5   AppKit                              0x00007ff81c5b7923 -[NSApplication _handleEvent:] + 137

6   AppKit                              0x00007ff81c1802ce -[NSApplication run] + 623

7   AppKit                              0x00007ff81c154227 NSApplicationMain + 817

8   TurboTax 2021                       [phone number removed]ae8177 main + 39

9   dyld                                [phone number removed]72851e start + 462

10  ???                                 [phone number removed]000003 0x0 + 3

Did you totally uninstall per the FAQ and delete ALL the files and download a fresh copy of TurboTax to reinstall?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

Yes I did, and did it a second time to make sure I didn’t miss a step the first time around. Also tried a fresh install on a second computer, but had the same result.

I started a new return to test and was able to print that successfully, but my existing return continues to crash whenever I try that. Is it possible that the save is corrupted somehow? I’d like to avoid completely redoing my return if possible (especially since Federal and VA have already been submitted and I don’t want to create an inconsistency by accident), but if that’s the only solution then I guess I don’t have a choice.

That type of crash would appear to be a program bug biased on the content of that data file.  

First I would try to just open the tax return and while holding the option key down a File -> Save As to a new saved file and try opening that new file and see if yiu get the same crash.

If you do, you can contact Customer support and try to escalate to a Mac technical support.   I believe that only a Mac developer who has a copy of your .tax file could pinpoint the problem and fix it.    That could take months.

The other option is to explain the issue to customer support and ask them to provide the online version which is "Self-Employed" (online name of Home & Business)  to you.  You could upload your .tax file to the online version and print from there.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Thanks for all of your help @macuser_22!

I ended up getting the return printable and e-fileable once I removed a TXF import with ~3000 transactions and entered a summary for the 1099-B instead. Based on what I've read, TurboTax Desktop shouldn't have problems handling that many transactions, but it appears that at least in my case that wasn't completely true (though it worked for my Federal and VA returns).

Glad to finally be able to finish my return for this year and I appreciate all your help troubleshooting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies