Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akshayelavia
Returning Member

Can I delay moving to Seattle from California by 3 months if my workplace is returning to office in September 2021?

I graduated in May 2021 from California and my new job is slated to begin on 21st June 2021. It will be remote until September 2021. Can I continue living in California for a few more weeks until the workplace has returned to in-person mode? I want to avoid paying the California state income tax which is why I was planning to start a new lease in Seattle before June 21 2021. Is my understanding correct? Or is it that I do not literally need to be present in Seattle when the job begins? My current lease in California expires in September which is why I wanted to explore the possibility of delaying the move by a few weeks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I delay moving to Seattle from California by 3 months if my workplace is returning to office in September 2021?

That is a discussion to have with your employer.   You need to know where the employer needs/wants you to be.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Signing a lease in Seattle does not by itself constitute a change of residency for state income tax purposes.  You must actually move to the new location.  Until you do, your income will remain subject to CA income taxation.

Here is California's rule regarding change of domicile:

A change of domicile requires all of the following:
• Abandonment of your prior domicile.
• Physically moving to and residing in the new locality.
• Intent to remain in the new locality permanently or indefinitely as demonstrated by your actions.

See page 10 of this CA tax publication: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-1031-publication.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies