California Adjustments to Federal Itemized Deducti...

metal450

California Adjustments to Federal Itemized Deductions (despite not itemizing)

I'm reading through the Schedule CA (540) that TurboTax generated.  In Part II, line 5a (state and local income tax or general sales tax), it put $267 in columns A & B.  This is not the amount of estimated state & local taxes I paid (I paid $203 state, and $0 local) - I have no idea where it got the number $267.

In the software, when I go to Forms view & view Data Source for that field, it says it comes from federal Schedule A. I did not itemize my Federal return, and thus it did not print a Schedule A, but in Forms view I can see a Schedule A with $267 on line 5a. Again, no idea where it got that number.

1) Why is TurboTax filling out Schedule CA (540) Part II at all, when this section is for adjustments to federal itemized deductions, but I did not itemize?

2) Where did it come up with "$267" on Schedule A (which I'm not using) line 5a?

metal450

Addendum: I figured out where it's getting 267.  It's 203 (state estimated payments) + 64 (2019 state tax paid in 2020) = 267.

That still leaves the question of why it's filling out this section at all though, when I'm not itemizing my Federal return.

AmyC

The program will transfer itemized deductions from federal Schedule A even if you cannot itemize deductions on the federal return. If you can itemize deductions on California, you should complete the Schedule A included in the federal program as completely as possible

For the part II, there is a check box that says to check it if you are not itemizing on the federal but are on the state. I bet that box is checked for you.

metal450

Nope, that checkbox was unchecked - it's not having me itemize for State, either.  No itemizing for state nor for federal.

JoannaB2

If you're not itemizing your State income tax, you can just let it be. The 2020 Schedulle CA(540) part 2 (adjustments to itemized deduction), line 5a is state and  local income tax or general sales tax.  When you enter the state of residence, that also computes your general sales tax on Schedule A. If your general sales tax was more than the local and state income tax, then Turbo tax will chose the higher amount which (in your case) was general sales tax.  In other words, $267 must be general sales tax.  You may not itemized your federal return but the amount entered on federal Schedule A will flow through Schedule CA 540 including adjustments to income and deduction.

metal450

>If your general sales tax was more than the local and state income tax, then Turbo tax will chose the higher amount which (in your case) was general sales tax.  In other words, $267 must be general sales tax.

Nope - as stated in my addendum, $267 was estimated state income tax payments + state income tax payments paid with return.

The remaining question is #1: why is it filling out Part II at all, aka "adjustments to itemized deductions," when it's not itemizing on either federal or state.  If there's no itemizing going on, it seems a bit odd for it to be printing forms related to itemizing.

DianeW777

I understand your observation.  It's important to have documentation for your records to show the expenses and why you did not use them. It's extra paper work (or computer files), but it's for reference and taking a look back should you ever need to.

metal450

They were printed as part of the forms to submit to FTB, not just when printing for my records.