Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcircus
Returning Member

Attach another state's return to efiled state return

To get credit for taxes paid in another state, Minnesota requires a copy of the tax return filed with the other state.  If I efile in that state, will TurboTax automatically attach a copy to my efiled Minnesota return?  If I file on paper in the second state, can I attach a copy of that return to my efiled Minnesota return?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file up to 5 states in TurboTax Online. If you are paper filing the other state, however, you will not be able to attach the other state return to your e-filed Minnesota return. 

That may be different if the other state was Michigan or North Dakota in your case: What is a state reciprocal agreement?

To change from paper filing to e-filing:

For TurboTax Online: How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online

For TurboTax CD/Download: How do I change from mail to e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download

Otherwise, for filing a paper return, see: 

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

How do I print and mail a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?

How do I paper-file in the TurboTax for Mac CD/Download software?

@jcircus

jcircus
Returning Member

If I efile both the Minnesota and the other state--Colorado--returns, will TurboTax attach a copy of the Colorado return to the Minnesota return?  (Minnesota requires this to get credit for the Colorado tax.)

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, TurboTax will file what is required to each state.

@jcircus

cepulkow

For 2019returens, I filed Fed, MA and DE tax returns on Turbo Tax. DE needed to see a copy of the MA one. There was no way to attach the file and Turbo Tax did not send the MA one to DE even though it was required. I  have the same situation this year. What is the status? Will Turbo Tax provide the MA tax return to DE? Is there somewhere where I need to check to tell it to do this step?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You can efile. When you file in more than one state, TurboTax includes all necessary copies in the efile.

All returns are included in the e-file package to each state.  All of the information necessary is  provided in the efile package..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies