turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I pay for what I did in virginia as work and about my apartment in VA?

i worked as a Tasker(private contract) in Virginia and i have an apartment in Virginia because i plan to start school this month. But i maintain a Pennsylvania license and registered vehicle. so I'm confused about how to file. I ended active service on the 16th of December and am now Inactive reserves.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Assuming you intend to stay in VA for an indefinite period, it has become your tax home.

You retained your state home of record, PA, up until you left active duty.  If you did not return to your home state but started working in VA, you became a VA resident.

So technically, you would file two part year resident state income tax returns, PA until Dec 16, VA from Dec 16 to Dec 31.

As PA does not tax active duty pay earned outside of the state, you would owe PA tax on only "other" income while on active duty.(interest, dividends, cap gains, etc).  PA threshold for filing is $34.

Any money earned after Dec 16 would be taxable on a part year resident VA income tax return. Filing requirements are here:  http://www.tax.virginia.gov/content/who-must-file

About the license and auto registration, most states have a period, usually 60-90 days for a new resident to obtain registration and driver's license in their new state. If ever got stopped by the locals, they could hit you up with more fines for being a VA resident with improper registration/license if they found out.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Assuming you intend to stay in VA for an indefinite period, it has become your tax home.

You retained your state home of record, PA, up until you left active duty.  If you did not return to your home state but started working in VA, you became a VA resident.

So technically, you would file two part year resident state income tax returns, PA until Dec 16, VA from Dec 16 to Dec 31.

As PA does not tax active duty pay earned outside of the state, you would owe PA tax on only "other" income while on active duty.(interest, dividends, cap gains, etc).  PA threshold for filing is $34.

Any money earned after Dec 16 would be taxable on a part year resident VA income tax return. Filing requirements are here:  http://www.tax.virginia.gov/content/who-must-file

About the license and auto registration, most states have a period, usually 60-90 days for a new resident to obtain registration and driver's license in their new state. If ever got stopped by the locals, they could hit you up with more fines for being a VA resident with improper registration/license if they found out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies