turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a over the road trucker,How do I determine the state I worked in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

As an OTR trucker, your income is subject to state income tax only in your home state (your state of residence).  It is not subject to income tax in states you pass through on the road.

The only exception might be if you physically worked at a location in a non-resident state. 

Drivers who are intrastate drivers, drive within the 100 mile radius of their terminal (in a non-resident state) or who are not subject to DOT hours of service, may be taxed by the work state and the resident state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Granite

I don’t believe that’s correct. Your premises of living in one state and driving in another almost never exist. Sometimes a 100 mile radius of your home could include 3 other states, and pickups and deliveries are not considered working in those states. Most drivers local regional or OTR will cross state lines and work in several states, IE pickup and deliver, that shouldn’t require that they be taxed in the surrounding states because as you put it, they worked there. By your premise someone that works out of Philadelphia and pics up and delivers in NJ, DE, MD, VA, and NY, would have to pay taxes in all of those states because they worked there.
TomD8
Level 15

(b)(1) No part of the compensation paid by a motor carrier providing transportation subject to the jurisdiction of the Commission under subchapter II of chapter 105 of this title or by a motor private carrier to an employee who performs regularly assigned duties in 2 or more States as such an employee with respect to a motor vehicle shall be subject to the income tax laws of any State or subdivision of that State, other than the State or subdivision thereof of the employee's residence.   https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-104/pdf/STATUTE-104-Pg295.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Beb38138

As an asphalt tanker truck driver, I deliver bulk loads of asphalt to a 6-8 state radius. When I get to my job site, I have to physically connect petroleum lines from my tank to theirs, climb on top of their tank, operate their valves...etc. Does this not qualify for "doing physical work" in said state? Truckers are THE worst treated towards taxes and overtime pay, yet federally regulated more/similar to an airline pilot. Our job is always on the top ten most dangerous jobs in America. Any help would be great. Thanks 👍

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies