turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chin29
Returning Member

Are the capital gains from sale of Vanguard NJ Long Term Tax Exempt Admiral Fund (VNJUX) exempt from New Jersey taxes ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Are the capital gains from sale of Vanguard NJ Long Term Tax Exempt Admiral Fund (VNJUX) exempt from New Jersey taxes ?

They appear to be. I suggest calling Vanguard to double check.

Capital gains are exempt from New Jersey income tax if they are from a New Jersey qualified investment fund. A qualified investment fund must:

• Be a regulated investment company;
  • Invest 80% or more of its funds (other than cash or receivables) in securities that are exempt from New Jersey Income Tax; and
  • Complete and retain Form IF-1, Certification of Qualified Investment Fund, to document its status. This certification does not need to be filed with us, but must be made available upon request.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chin29
Returning Member

"Are the capital gains from the sale of Vanguard NJ Long Term Exempt Admiral
Fund (VNJUX) exempt from New Jersey taxes ?"

I got the following answer directly from NJ taxation to the above question:

"If the Vanguard NJ Long Term Exempt Admiral Fund (VNJUX) meets the qualifications of an exempt obligation, the capital gain would not be subject to New Jersey tax. See: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tgi-ee/git5.pdf"

Vanguard did not answer the question about whether or not VNJUX is a NJ  "Qualified Investment Fund." I assumed that it is since VNJUX invests 80% or more of its funds in securities that are exempt from NJ Income tax.

Are the capital gains from the sale of Vanguard NJ Long Term Exempt Admiral Fund (VNJUX) exempt from Federal taxes? I am assuming that it is not exempt since I could not find anything that specifically exempts it from Federal taxes.

Thanks for all your help- appreciated it.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Capital gains from fund trading or redemption of shares is not tax exempt federally.  Here is a link to the applicable Vanguard page.  See the notes at the bottom of the page.  

Backed up the IRS publication here.  Capital gains for the sale are taxable interest and dividends earned are not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies