turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On 4/14/19, I authorized TurboTax to send a state tax liability payment to my state (MD). As of 4/25/19, my state has not recieved my payment. Why not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

On 4/14/19, I authorized TurboTax to send a state tax liability payment to my state (MD). As of 4/25/19, my state has not recieved my payment. Why not?

TurboTax doesn't send it.  TurboTax has you enter the Debit information in your tax return...then when you e-file, that information is sent to the state, and the state does it...….IF...if the account numbers and account information you provided is correct.

1)  Was your state e-file really accepted?   The state doesn't do the debit if your e-file was rejected..

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

2)  IF it was accepted....then you need to look at the PDF filing copy of your tax returns.  In the State section is a State "Electronic Filing Instructions...." sheet.  That sheet shows the routing and account numbers you entered, and the date you indicated for the debit.   IF that information is missing,  then you did not arrange the debit with your e-file .  IF that account information is incorrect, then the debit should not happen. I'll post a picture of what that form looks like later this morning.  

And....Arranging a Debit for Federal must be done separately from the state.  Some states do not allow you to arrange the debit with your e-file, and you must pay separately from your tax e-filing.  Don't know what MD allows.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

posted a picture of what the State "Electronic Filing Instructions...." sheet should look like if you arranged the MD Debit when you e-filed.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
AB33

I requested a federal tax extension, of which MD automatically approves (if the IRS approves); I have not yet filed with MD, per your explanation, that is the reason my account has not been debited. Please note that I asked this question to a TurboTax CPA via the LiveHelp function on 4/14/19 (you can check my file) and the CPA told me that since I gave TurboTax my debit information for the state tax return, that the state of MD should debit my account "within a few days" after 4/14; the advice you are now telling me is the exact opposite of what the CPA told me, which is concerning.
Please advise.

...ohhhh.....as a user I cannot check anything...  and I don't know what happens with the MD extension payment when it's automatic with the Fed extension.  I suspect you do have to pay MD separately...but I'll poke the Moderators.

@AB33

WAIT...are you the same person who started this Question????

Yes, I am the same person who started this Question. I am not aware of other ways to respond to the initial advice I recieved.

@AB33  is a different login UserID

...so replying thru the @abrambrown3 UserID appears to be a different person then when replying thru an @AB33 UserID.....then it gets  confusing as to what the real situation is for each person.

@AB33    For the extension situation SuperUser dmertz had the following comment:

If a MD balance due is expected, a MD extension with payment must be filed.  

I don't know that a debit/ACH transfer for a payment with extension can be done through TurboTax online, so I'm not sure the CPA would have been suggesting, but I know that it must be mailed when prepared with the CD/download version.  

MD extension request and payment by ACH transfer can easily be done through the MD iFile website instead, so I don't know why anyone would do it through TurboTax even if they could, other than to have TurboTax calculate and record the payment in the tax file."

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies