turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A large portion of my 2018 PFD was garnished by the State of Alaska to pay overpaid unemployment benefits received during 2017. How should I claim the garnished portion?

A letter from the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development Unemployment Insurance Support Unit was received.

UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE PAYMENT NOTICE - 1099G
Unemployment Insurance balance reported to the IRS for tax year 2018

IMPORTANT MESSAGE
KEEP FOR TAX PURPOSES

Repayments you made on your unemployment insurance overpayment balance may be deductable on your taxes. Your record indicates that no payments were issued to you during the calander year 2018.
However, your overpayment record indicates repayments during the calander year 2018 in the amount of $1350.00
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

A large portion of my 2018 PFD was garnished by the State of Alaska to pay overpaid unemployment benefits received during 2017. How should I claim the garnished portion?

To enter the $1,350 unemployment repayment:

1. Log onto to TurboTax.
  2. Select Income & Expenses at the top of the screen.
  3. Scroll down to Unemployment and select Visit/Revisit.
  4. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2018? screen, answer Yes.
  5. Continue with the interview until you get to the Let us know if any of these uncommon situations apply to you screen, select I repaid government unemployment benefits that I received in 2017 or earlier, Continue.
  6. On the Let us know how much of your government unemployment benefits were repaid in 2018 screen, enter the amount, Continue.

Related information:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

To enter the $1,350 unemployment repayment:

1. Log onto to TurboTax.
  2. Select Income & Expenses at the top of the screen.
  3. Scroll down to Unemployment and select Visit/Revisit.
  4. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2018? screen, answer Yes.
  5. Continue with the interview until you get to the Let us know if any of these uncommon situations apply to you screen, select I repaid government unemployment benefits that I received in 2017 or earlier, Continue.
  6. On the Let us know how much of your government unemployment benefits were repaid in 2018 screen, enter the amount, Continue.

Related information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies