Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 state tax download

I am unable to download and install my 2023 state return.  The fixes on support (run state clean tool) to get out of the loop where I try to download state and get the message your sw is up to date isn't working.  It looks like the tool is removing my 2022 state, not 2023.  I've tried all the solutions and nothing is working.  One of you experts know how to fix?  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

2023 state tax download

It is not unusual for the state download to be unavailable this early in December.   Many state forms are not ready yet.   Even the federal software is going to require quite a few updates between now and when returns begin to be accepted in late January.   Check back at a later time for your state software.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2023 state tax download

Thanks.  Yes, before when I tried to start my state it said it was not ready.  Now it doesn't say that.  It takes you into this download loop I referred to.  In any case, I will retry in another week or two.  Thanks

2023 state tax download

@mikekbrotersfan 

You can check the following tool for your state to see when they are "expected":

1) Select "1040 Individual" in the first box  (yeah...that can be a bit misleading)

2) Select your state in the second box

Intuit App

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

2023 state tax download

Thanks.  It does say they aren't available yet.  Very odd that the sw seems to imply that it is.  Thanks for the link to that app.

2023 state tax download

2023 state tax download

Turbo tax said Illinois was ready December 6th which was yesterday.  All the fixes I tried didnt work either.  Turbo Tax is not a new product.  They should be better at informing their customers about what is going on.  By now they should be a lot better than this.  They should stop worrying so much about security issues -- making sure its impossible to pull up past years returns for one or "Netflixing" us when we try to do 5 returns and there is no way to do it unless everyone uses my computer -- and treat the users like human beings.

2023 state tax download

@jivefive99  it's not ready for download after talking to support. just today I went into my account and found it listed but no link to download it. I can find a link that says when the Illinois forms will be ready but not the app itself. ?

2023 state tax download

@Mike9241 @jivefive99 

Ohh...TTX can probably do better, if they made the effort....

It's likely just the part of people trying to use what is essentially a flakey, beta-version of TurboTax. 

I refuse to load it this early, as it just leads to frustrations.

But thank y'all for finding all the bugs.   Maybe they should implement a half-price sale on the software for all of Nov and Dec as a reward for all these beta-testers. ....then get to the regular discount prices in Jan &Feb.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

2023 state tax download

No one will get state downloads until Intuit fixes both the 2023 program and the state removal tool.  The 2023 version of TurboTax is now a 64bit program installed in a different location on Windows than all previous TurboTax versions which were 32bit versions.  The state download is in fact downloading but unfortunately into last years TurboTax version in the old 32bit file location. 

You can confirm this by looking at the 2022 TurboTax install location under forms you will see your state tax files dated the day you requested your 2023 state download.

I have also confirmed the state removal tool also works, but it works on last years version in the 32bit file location.  State gets removed and as soon as you open that version of TurboTax it immediately gets redownloaded back to that version of TurboTax.  I've been trying to get Intuit's attention on this but very hard to provide feedback them and the customer service people do not listen to what you tell them.  They just state the state versions are not ready.  I hope someone from Intuit reads these forums. 

2023 state tax download

I'm going to add to this.  My guess is Intuit instructs TurboTax to install in the 32bit location, 'Program Files (x86)', however, Windows is overriding the installation location because it is a 64bit program to the 'Program Files' location.  I performed a deinstall and a reinstall specifying the 'Program Files (x86)' location only to find TurboTax 2023 installed in the 64bit location, 'Program Files'. 

Hope Intuit gets to this sooner rather than later. 

2023 state tax download

@tylkaw   Yeah, you're right in that there could be something up with 64 bit (Federal) vs 32 bit (State) installs.  The main program appears to be 64 bit now.

_____

BUT.....even if they get you the state forms to load earlier than indicated on the State forms readiness indicator...if you ever get a state form early, you'd have to be very, very leery about believing anything on it.  I know that one year they allowed NC forms to download early...but those were still mapped onto the prior year's forms, and since the line numbers changed, many $$ were dumped in the wrong form locations, calculating really screw numbers.....so the state forms were absolutely useless until the final-correct forms were available and the $$ then ended up on the correct form lines.

2023 state tax download

As of December 21, 2023, my state tax return will not install even though software indicated that it has. 

2023 state tax download

As of December 21, 2023 TurboTax says it dowloaded and installed my state (MN) return, but when I click start, it takes me back to the State Purchase screen.

2023 state tax download

Sorry----TurboTax is not doing an adequate job of informing users that the state downloads are not really ready to use, and the states themselves do not have their forms ready.  Check back later in January.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies