turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I record correctly a rollover from 401k to IRA? I received both a 1099-r and 5498.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Cindy0H

How do I record correctly a rollover from 401k to IRA? I received both a 1099-r and 5498.

You will enter the 1099R in TurboTax on your 2018 tax return. You don't need to enter information from your Form 5498(IRA Contribution Information) into TurboTax.

When you enter the 1099-R into TurboTax, notice the code in Box 7.  The codes for a direct rollover are "G" or "H" (if a Roth).  TurboTax will pick up on this code and your distribution won't be taxable.

If this was an indirect rollover -- meaning you physically got the check and deposited the funds into another retirement account -- then you'll have a code other than "G" or "H".  In that case, you'll answer TurboTax's question about what you did with the money by checking the box that says you moved the money to another retirement account.  That will also result in it not being included in taxable income.

Here are the steps:

• Federal
  • Wages & Income
  • Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)

but turbo is including the money in our total income

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

• Please re-check the Form 1099-R entry.  
  • In Box 7- make sure the program has picked up the code "G".
  • This code "G" will insure that it is properly identified as a direct rollover and non-Taxable.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is an indirect rollover, so it's taxing me and adding to my income.  When I went back and selected G, it helped the tax situation, but error checker sees that it's not correct because I received the money, then rolled it into another account within 60-days.  What are the steps to properly note this? 

If this was an indirect rollover -- meaning you physically got the check and deposited the funds into another retirement account -- then you'll have a code other than "G" or "H".  In that case, you'll answer TurboTax's question about what you did with the money by checking the box that says you moved the money to another retirement account.  That will also result in it not being included in taxable income.

Here are the steps:

• Federal
  • Wages & Income
  • Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)

And did they take any withholding out of the check?  Then you had to replace the withholding with your own money when you deposited it into the IRA.  Or the withholding itself became a taxable distribution.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I now see that I had to answer a few more questions. 

I didn't realize it was called an Indirect rollover until I called the investment guy.  So I answered the follow-up questions wrong.  I needed to select "I rolled this into an IRA." 

I had taken the money out and put it back in within 60-days; and didn't realize that was a "roll over" until I called him; which led me to post this question. I went back through the Q&A and had just selected the wrong answer initially (find and select the word roll-over :D)  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies