Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is there a discrepancy between the amount entered for Social Security income and the amount shown on line 20a?

In entering the Social Security Income for myself and my spouse, the total amount entered is $29,956; however, the amount shown on line 20a (Social Security income) is $59,952.  Why is there a discrepancy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is there a discrepancy between the amount entered for Social Security income and the amount shown on line 20a?

You entered it twice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You entered it twice.

Thx for your response; however, I reviewed my calculations and the info was not entered twice

1)  What were the individual box 5 $$ amounts for each of you...we can test them.
2) ...did you enter any lump-sum SS payments received in 2017 but for a prior yea/?
3)  .....Do you happen to have an RRB-1099 form too?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

thx for your assistance.  I rechecked the box 5 amounts for my wife and myself and then went to 1040 box 20 and it still showed double the amount  of the two box 5 amounts....

Like I asked, what were the two amounts ?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies