Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Form 1099-Q includes amount distributed in Dec 2016 but received by school in Jan 2017. Since this does not show up in the 2016 Form 1098-T, the difference seems to be counted as income. I do not want to use the prepay option for this Spring 2017 fee.

I need the Spring 2017 fee for next year's deduction. There is no benefit in using the additional 1099-Q amount for  2016 filing. How do I resolve this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

My Form 1099-Q includes amount distributed in Dec 2016 but received by school in Jan 2017. Since this does not show up in the 2016 Form 1098-T, the difference seems to be counted as income. I do not want to use the prepay option for this Spring 2017 fee.

You can enter an adjustment to subtract the spring tuition as follows:

1. Type "1098-T" in the Search box, then select Jump to 1098-T.
  2. As you enter information from the form, under Box 2. Amounts billed, you will see a sentence in blue, What if this is not what [the student] paid to this school? Click on that link, and you will be able to enter the amount actually paid.  (See the screenshot below.)

Save this 1098-T and a copy of your 2016 tax return for next year. You will be able to take credit for the tuition that was billed but not paid until 2017.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

You can enter an adjustment to subtract the spring tuition as follows:

1. Type "1098-T" in the Search box, then select Jump to 1098-T.
  2. As you enter information from the form, under Box 2. Amounts billed, you will see a sentence in blue, What if this is not what [the student] paid to this school? Click on that link, and you will be able to enter the amount actually paid.  (See the screenshot below.)

Save this 1098-T and a copy of your 2016 tax return for next year. You will be able to take credit for the tuition that was billed but not paid until 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies