turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

robertmeyer310
Returning Member

When to make tax payment for Roth conversion?

Planning a 4th Qtr. 2018 Roth conversion ($70K) - can I pay online once in 4th Qtr. at time of conversion or must I make quarterly estimated payments? (I do not have safe harbor where I could pay in 2019 at tax filing time). Do not want any penalties, etc.

In 2017 I also had a Roth conversion where I had safe harbor since I did not do one in 2016 and my 2017 withholding from my pension check exceeded my 2016 taxes. Thus no safe harbor in 2018 as my withholding is far short of my eventual tax liability.

As before - my current pension withholding will not cover my tax liability with a conversion. I am likely to owe about an additional $5K to Ca. and about $12K to Fed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You are smart to plan.  You can pay online at the time of your conversion.  This will be an estimated payment for the 4th Quarter.  You can also mail in a 4th Quarter 1040-ES voucher to the IRS by January 15, 2019.  The same would apply to your California return.

As you already know, when it comes to making estimated payments all that matters is that you have enough paid in for the quarter.  It can be from withholding through a pension or other income sources.  You could also ask the IRA custodian to withhold the tax.  However, this is generally not advised as this will reduce the amount of the tax-exempt income now working for you in your Roth.

I did a roth conversion on September 5 2019 and need to file an estimated tax for Federal and State.  Can I do that electronically from my Turbo Tax 2018 which I downloaded and make the payments online or do I have to do something else?

THanks

See this TurboTax support FAQ for competing estimated tax forms using the 2018 editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900683-how-do-i-print-estimated-tax-vouchers-for-my-2019-taxes

You can use the IRS Form 1040-ES to print and mail the payment - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

Or you the IRS payment website for Direct Pay for the estimated tax payment - https://www.irs.gov/payments

@pwerth00 

And...of course...if needed, you can get blank 4Q estimated forms for your own state, or arrange a direct  debit for your state, by accessing and searching thru your state's tax website Online.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies